Chapter 38: Inside Out

"It feels too tense in here." Vlad said as he took a seat in his uncle's office. "It's tense because Alyssa was almost shot!" Jenna snapped over video call. "The dude flashed his gun. She wasn't almost shot." Konstantin said bored. He was too busy looking at his nails to see the pen flying straight towards his head.

"Ouch!" He exclaimed looking up and around until his eyes landed on a very lethal Matvei. "Things are tense because we need answers and have yet to receive any. That's not like us. We're the Melnik's for fuck's sake. We're sought after because we are the best and right now, we're nowhere close to that standard." Misha spoke up.

"Can we just say what we're all thinking?" Arseny said angrily. "It's obvious the French are behind this. It's no coincidence that two French speaking men approached Alyssa. You said it yourself that our cover was blown thanks to dumb and dumber over there, so of course they'd single her out as the shiny new add on to the Melnik crew. We need this fixed because if anyone comes after Keisha and our unborn child I will paint this state red."

They heard the venom in his voice and knew he was beyond serious. Arseny didn't play when it came to most things, but especially Keisha and now his child. "I don't think it's David." Vlad spoke up. "Why not?" Jenna asked curiously.

"The man lost his wife not even a year ago. His only daughter was recently enrolled in Syndicate Academy after going her entire life unaware of the world we live in or who her father and brother truly are. He's got enough on his plate trying to clean up the French mafia thanks to Jacques' foolishness. You really think now is the time to try and attack anyone, let alone the Trio?"

They all took in his points. "We can't deny the Haitians hand in this though?" Matvei said looking around at his family. "No, we can't." Vlad said beginning to second guess his theory. "Y'all shut up!" Jenna sassed. "David is calling."

They looked to the screen right as Misha accepted the call. There on the large monitor was David Laurent. He was an older man, a few years younger than Misha and Markov, with blonde hair and icy blue eyes. He had a strong demeanor and commanding aura that everyone who knew and met him noticed quickly.

"David." Misha began. "Hello, Misha. It's been awhile." Misha nodded his head. "It has, which is usually a good thing." David chuckled. "It is, so imagine my surprise and apprehension at your request to speak today."

"I don't mean to alarm you, but I know you're aware of the Terrifying Trio and the attacks made on their warehouses." David nodded his head. It was obvious he was curious as to what that information had to do with him.

"An attack was also made at the school. The school your two children attend." David nodded his head before speaking up. "They weren't able to find anything on the perpetrators unfortunately." Misha shook his head. "They weren't, but we think the intruders were possibly after the French merchandise inside the vault."

David brows furrowed. "Someone very near and dear to my family was approached and later confronted by two Black men we believe to be Haitian." Mikhail took in his expression before speaking. "The first man was named Jean-Louis. Do you know him?"

David pinched his chin before nodding. "Jean-Louis is the right hand of François Pierre, leader of the Haitian mafia." Matvei saw red and Jenna could see this so she interjected. "Mr. Laurent, is there a reason Jean-Louis was in San Antonio last week? Did you or François send him on an assignment?"

David nodded his head. "I sent him to Grand Prairie, San Antonio and Austin in search of something. He apparently ended up finding it in San Antonio." Matvei glared at him. "What was he looking for?"

David didn't like the tone or look he was being served and they could tell by his change in posture that he was going on the defense. "That is none of your concern." He said curtly. "Misha, what is this meeting really about?"