|| Dvasaptati: His Eldest Son ||

"Yuyudhana Satyaki's claim that I don't have any children from Krishnaa is absolutely false

"Yuyudhana Satyaki's claim that I don't have any children from Krishnaa is absolutely false. I've tried to make him understand before but perhaps his intellect was too weak to grasp my point. I told him clearly that Prativindhya is the heir of all the Pandavas but he overlooked it thinking that I was saying it out of affection and my affection doesn't count. But it was not a hollow statement. You can ask our Purohita Guru Dhaumya who had done all the formalities post Prativindhya's birth when I wasn't present here but my brothers had made this decision for us. With my eldest brother and Krishnaa's consent, he had proclaimed Prativindhya as the heir of the five Pandavas legally so that no one could raise such outrageous questions in future. They knew that I wouldn't be against it and they were right. When Jyeshtha told me about it after my return, nothing gave me more delight. Because I had always considered Prativindhya as my first son!

"Before anyone can give the name of deference to my eldest brother to this love and affection of mine, I would like to cut off all those misconceptions. Yes, I have affection for my brothers' sons but not the way I have for those born of Krishnaa's womb. For Prativindhya especially, because I was here for six months during her first pregnancy. I was looking forward to being a father to that baby and only I knew how much it pained to leave my home before the baby came into this world. I was shattered when I had to leave. I thought the baby would never recognize me as an uncle, leave alone father. But he has some magic in him, the magic lent to him by his family which made him not just recognize but love me immensely!"

Arjuna turned to Prativindhya who was standing beside his mother and gently held his chin while he looked on with expanded eyes. "Babhruvahana is my firstborn but it is Prativindhya whom I had always considered as my first son throughout these years. My grief at not being able to hold him in my arms and missing twelve years of his life was terrible. But when I reached home and Prativindhya called me Pita, I knew immediately that he was Prativindhya. I've also started training him in arms. Everyone, everyone should keep in mind my bonding with Prativindhya. Never dare to say he's not my son and another son of mine should take his place! I would never forgive any person, however friendly we are to each other, if he hurts my eldest child! Prativindhya is the name of the son whom I have from Krishnaa!"

The assembly was soundless once again. Satyaki was wearing a look of disbelief and annoyance. Krishnaa wiped the tears off her face slowly.

"I cannot pardon Yuyudhana Satyaki's act of disrespect!" Yudhishthira uttered. "Since he is a royal guest and a noble warrior, I suggest he wash off the guilt attached to him by apologizing to everyone whom he has disrespected."

"Maharaja," Krishnaa said, her voice steady and regal. "Hardikya was the one who had suggested the idea of manipulating Rajakumara Prativindhya to Satyaki for their benefit. Rajakumara Arjuna himself had heard it. The son of Hridika is hiding behind the curtains because of his past crime."

"Is this true, Arya Kritavarma?" Yudhishthira glanced at the said person who stayed still, indicating his acceptance. "Conspiring is no less than executing. Though our Rajakumara is secure, since you and Satyaki had planned to breach his mental security, apology won't be enough. For this Sabha, I demand apology. I'll make further decisions later!"

"I'm sorry for my part in this, Maharaja Yudhishthira, Maharani Draupadi and Rajakumara Prativindhya!" Kritavarma bowed apologetically though he threw a resentful look at the queen.

"I'm sorry for my audacity, Maharaja, Maharani, Rajakumara Prativindhya, Rajakumara Arjuna!" Satyaki joined his palms. "Maharaja Drupada, I'm sorry. I'm sorry to all the Panchalas. I hadn't meant it to happen this way but when everyone seemed to be opposing my proposal carelessly, I thought that maybe this point of their personal life would help everyone realize my point but... Rajakumara Arjuna is so attached to Maharani and her eldest son... oh no I'm sorry... his eldest son..."

Yudhishthira, Arjuna and Krishnaa were suppressing their rage at the mockery in Satyaki's tone regarding Prativindhya. Drupada turned his face away, holding Dhrishtadyumna's hand so that he could prevent him from losing control. Prativindhya observed the faces of his maternal relatives, his mother, his fathers, and seeing how agonized each of them were, for the first time, he was really shaken. He clung to Arjuna tightly and noticing it, Arjuna held him supportively.

Yudhishthira could sense the tension in the assembly and he didn't want it to escalate anymore. He cleared his throat and earned the attention of all. "I'm sorry for you, Yuyudhana, for you have no remorse. I'm ending this assembly here as I don't want conflicts to rise on this day of celebration. But I'll deal with the next course of action regarding Satyaki and Kritavarma very soon, after considering the opinions of those whom I value in this issue."

The assembly started dispersing. Arjuna kneeled down in front of Prativindhya. "Nothing wrong will happen, Putra. Injustice can never enter Indraprastha. All of us will be fine soon. Don't worry about this!"

As he consoled the boy, he noticed from the corner of his eye that Krishnaa was leaving the assembly in an unnaturally hurried way. The Panchalas were there in the assembly so her hurry could be to avoid answering their questions. He knew that he too had to face them too but not before meeting Krishnaa. The exposure of the distance in their relationship in public was breaking him and he knew it would be the same with her but more in magnitude. At that moment, all that he wanted was to share that pain, share that bitterness, to share her feelings for once.

"Bhaginipati!" Dhrishtadyumna almost thundered but he toned himself down remembering Prativindhya's presence. "The Panchalas wish to talk to you and Krishnaa. Can you both come to the guest palace in the evening? Together?"

Arjuna sighed in melancholy at the word he emphasized. "We will be there, Dhrishtadyumna. I'll inform Krishnaa."