|| Ashta: Hopes And Dreams ||

As Arjuna put on the clothes of bark, and ornaments of rudraksha beads on his body, it seemed to him that his life was a never-ending cycle

As Arjuna put on the clothes of bark, and ornaments of rudraksha beads on his body, it seemed to him that his life was a never-ending cycle. He had not worn the uttariya which symbolized Indraprastha's royalty after the battle with the robbers as he had decided to leave on exile that very instant and could not retain the royal symbols of Indraprastha. He did not regret his decision but neither could not avert his heart from the sorrow he felt. He would be more than happy to embrace the forest life if it was with his family, but the fact that he was being banished from the family, though it was his own choice against the wishes of his family members, it still hurt him the same.

As he walked out of his bath chamber and went into his bedchamber, his sight fell on his beloved wife who was sleeping peacefully. She had been awake the whole night, giving him the comfort and strength that he sought from her, understanding all his unspoken and unresolved emotions. They had conversed with each other about all that they could, and shared companionable silence too, something that they could treasure in their hearts. Sleep took over her resolve to stay awake just some moments before Brahma Muhurta, and he tucked her into bed before going out to meet his mother and his brothers.

He tried to pacify their concerns though he himself was not sure how he was going to push through the upcoming twelve years. His eldest brother asked him to stay back multiple times, but he did not relent as he knew he couldn't do that. He had told his brother that it was from him that he learnt that fulfilling our duties towards Dharma has to be kept above everything. The King of Indraprastha could not counter that argument of his, and had to cease attempts to stop his younger brother. After spending the whole of the first prahara of the day with his mother and brothers, he returned to his chambers and prepared himself for the journey.

He took slow steps towards the bed and kneeled down on the floor beside Krishnaa, his palm touching her baby bump gently. He remembered the conversation they had about the child, when he had confessed to her that he would always love the child as his own even if it is his nephew by relation. But with the unprecedented turn of events, he would miss the childhood of the baby and wouldn't be able to meet the child until he or she is twelve years old.

He would not get the opportunity to glimpse the child as a toddler and watch him grow up. He didn't know if the child would bond with him at least as his uncle when he returns, and the dream of bonding with him as a father seems to be a far-fetched dream. Within his heart, he developed seamless affection for the baby in these six months of Krishnaa's pregnancy. Wherever he is, he was sure that his affection would not change and he would always pray for the child's welfare. It was also one of the reasons he dared to break the vow, to safeguard the baby from the curses and pains associated with them, it was not just his duty for the kingdom and his family, but it was his parental responsibility.

Feeling the caress of Arjuna's hand, Krishnaa woke up from her slumber. Her eyes took in his changed attire and the sleep in her eyes was replaced with streams of anguish instantaneously. She had known it all along and she was filling him with confidence about it, but when the moment of his leave arrived, she was not able to find it in her to allow him to go away. She watched him wipe his tears away before they could cross the boundary of his eyes.