|| Trayahpanchashat: Wound Of The Heart ||

When Krishnaa had arrived at Pritha's chamber the next evening, there was some noise inside as if there were more people inside

When Krishnaa had arrived at Pritha's chamber the next evening, there was some noise inside as if there were more people inside. She hesitated about going in for some time but she had to inform her mother-in-law personally about her trip with Vrikodara and so she decided to go inside after acquiring Pritha's permission through her maidservant. But she had never expected to find Arjuna and Subhadra inside the chamber with Pritha. The maidservant arranged a comfortable seat for Krishnaa and left the chamber.

"Sit down, Krishnaa," Pritha said when her daughter-in-law remained in her standing posture. "Anything urgent?"

"No, Mata, we can talk later."

"Alright." Pritha turned to her other guests. "Bhadra, you send a message to Dvaraka and inform your parents and brothers. Go now. You need rest."

Subhadra nodded her head and left from there. When Arjuna didn't move from his place, Pritha patted his arm, "Go, Arjuna. I have to talk to Krishnaa."

"Yes, Mata." He stood up slowly and walked out of the chamber.

"Is everything alright, Mata?" Krishnaa questioned Pritha who rose from her place and came to sit beside the former.

"Subhadra is expecting."

Krishnaa closed her eyes for a moment, letting the news sink into her mind, and opened her eyes numbly. "Arjuna had given an heir to Chitrangada before. Subhadra will give Arjuna his heir now. How strange it is that I have remained his wife only in name!"

Pritha had no words to console her daughter-in-law on this topic. It was Krishnaa's right to have carried Arjuna's first child as she was his first wife but she didn't take offense when Babhruvahana was born because she understood the gravity of the situation, and more important was the fact that Arjuna himself had given up his rights on his son. Krishnaa wasn't an obstinate woman, she knew when and where to compromise. For being so understanding and adaptive, she ended up getting tormented in return. It was nearly two decades, around seventeen to eighteen years since Arjuna and Krishnaa were married, and still their child did not come into this world.

"Mata, I think I shouldn't have reacted like that. A child is a child. It's Arjuna's child. I know that you will take care of all the rituals starting from Pumsavana. I would have done them on my own if I was stable myself. But I have had enough. I shouldn't involve myself in all this. Please, Mata, do this for me?"

"Of course, Putri, I'll look after the rituals. You need not do anything. Take care of yourself, that's all," Pritha reassured her though her voice wasn't as confident as it usually was. Until this day, she had a faint ray of hope in her heart that Krishnaa and Arjuna would come together soon. But everything flipped in one day that the faint ray had also vanished into oblivion. "What did you want to talk about, Krishnaa?"

"I'm planning to go with Bhimasena for the administrative inspection. We might be out of the city for a month or more than that. I'll take Shrutasena with me but the older children will stay here. Can you look after them, Mata?"