|| Ekavimshati: Her Restlessness ||

Indraprastha

Indraprastha

The royal palace where the family of King Pandu lived, shimmered with perpetual fortune, like the abode of Sri herself. The kingdom had flourished beyond expectation in the past five years and became a force to be reckoned with. The common people were well-settled in their lives as there was immense scope for progress in every field and thus plenty of work for their livelihood. King Yudhishthira and Queen Krishnaa ruled the subjects with compassion, assisted by the wisdom of the crown-prince Vrikodara and the chief councillor Sahadeva, and ensured justice above everything.

Nakula worked hard for the security that Arjuna was concerned about, and made Indraprastha secure and strong in the military sphere. Though the third Pandava wasn't with them, his family always carried him in their thoughts. They strived for the betterment of their kingdom, knowing that his sacrifice was the basis of their prosperity, and they wanted him to be content with and proud of how far they have come. For others, it might seem like he was not a part of the family, at least temporarily, due to his prolonged absence. But it wasn't the case with his mother, his brothers and his wife, who made him an integral part of their every joy and sorrow. Every corner of Indraprastha screamed of Arjuna's essence for those who had the eyes to perceive it.

Two years after Prativindhya's birth, Krishnaa had given birth to Sutasoma, the son of Vrikodara, and just a year ago, Nakula's son, Shatanika was born. The five years were quite transforming as she had become a mother to three children, and had also begun to share her household with her co-wives, Balandhara and Devika, the latter who was married to Yudhishthira recently, along with Vijayaa who was already there. The duties of finance and administration, and the court affairs that she was actively involved in, kept her occupied and granted her many opportunities to learn and grow, both mentally and emotionally.

She had waited for Arjuna's message for months and years, and had been disappointed when she didn't receive it, but she did not misjudge him in haste. If he hadn't contacted her, neither did he send any messages to his brothers and mother. It was only the news that they had gotten from the Brahmana travellers from Gangadvara years ago which had informed them about his Gandharva Vivaha with Ulupi. There could be so many reasons behind his silence, and they could be as simple as not having an opportunity or a proper medium to send a message.

She had also considered Vrikodara's suggestion of contacting him through Indraprastha's messengers, but she dropped the idea again as it did not sound reasonable. He was performing penance, crossing the hurdles on the path on his own, without any aid from his loved ones. As a prince, it wasn't easy for him to sacrifice his royal status. She did not want to become another obstacle by displaying her emotional state before him. Moreover, despite the upheaval of feelings she had at times, her trust in him was unshakeable. She could not let him mistake her message as her doubt on his devotion, which could weaken him. She had vowed to be his strength and She was determined to be the same.

She possessed everything that a woman or a princess could ask for. A loving family with a doting mother-in-law, four caring husbands, three precious children, and a prosperous kingdom with the exalted position of the queen, where her opinions and contributions were honored. Not only did she have the opportunity to manage the finances of the household and the economy of Indraprastha, but her contributions in every sphere of the administration and household were duly respected. But all the happiness and achievement still felt incomplete and insufficient. Not because she was greedy for more or did not cherish all the blessings the Bhagavan had showered on her life, but because nothing else could fully compensate for the absence of Arjuna.

She was grateful for all the joy that she was bestowed with, but she wasn't selfish enough to overlook the fact that Arjuna deserved each and every bit of it too. The family that she was blessed with was his, and he was deprived of the very same family. If not for the penalty, he would also be in his own kingdom, as the prince and the Commander, ruling over Indraprastha along with his family. He would also have had his child born if he hadn't gone on exile. Strange was the fate that he had to lose everything that she had gained. She wanted to give him everything, be his everything, but ended up doing the opposite, without her knowledge though. And that disturbed her again and again.

On one of the quiet nights, as she placed Shatanika in his cradle after putting him to sleep, Nakula walked into the chamber, his pace hinting at his happiness and eagerness.

"A messenger from Manalura has arrived!" He announced, grinning. "Bhrata Arjuna has sent us letters! The Duta told me that he sent six letters, for Mata, for us four brothers and for you!"

She frowned at the first sentence but the rest of the information struck her like a jolt of exhilaration, and she almost gasped out in surprise. She shut her eyes and offered her gratitude to her Aaradhya Shiva for letting Arjuna's words reach them, and for always ensuring his safety. Given that there was no news about him in the past few years, they were not even aware of his well-being. They chose to believe in the Almighty and the capability of Arjuna, and their faith was not meaningless.

"Where are the letters then, Natha?" She couldn't hold her excitement anymore as she was looking forward to his message for a long time. She felt as if the letter sent by Arjuna was the boat that would save her from drowning in the storm of her own feelings.

"I took the messenger to the guest chambers. I couldn't ask the letters from him at this time as it is late into the night and he was also looking tired," Nakula explained, sounding a little disappointed, but the happiness of the messenger's arrival was stronger.

"He has come here travelling all the way from Dakshina Bhumi. We can definitely wait for the dawn," she said with an empathetic nod, making her husband smile at her kindness.

"I know how much you have waited for this letter, Priyaa," Nakula said in a tone laced with relief, a feeling she hadn't seen in him since years.

"I'm happy to find you so happy after years," she held his hands gently. "As long as your love, and the love of our family, is with me, I won't be worried for myself. But Phalguna is alone. All my worries were about him."

"Mahadeva will always ensure Agraja's welfare, Panchali! He'd never let our prayers go in vain!" Nakula patted her cheek as Krishnaa blinked her eyes in acknowledgement of his support.

She couldn't catch a blink of sleep that night, all her thoughts revolving around the letter as she stared at the sky through the window, awaiting the sunrise. Her love for him was too intense for her to let go of the beautiful dreams she had about their life that continued to stay in her subconscious mind even after five years of their separation. She had assumed that they were shattered when he departed from Indraprastha, but they weren't. Her dreams about him were like her life-breaths, giving her the energy and impetus to live through the twelve years to turn them into reality one day.

When he left, though she had resolved to build her dreams once again for their reunion, the heavy communication gap between them did not help her in developing any new hopes. After the news about his marriage to Ulupi, though she did not doubt his love, she was hesitant and puzzled about imagining their future together. But the dreams and desires of the past were still alive in the depths of her heart, making every moment of her wait for him both promising and agonizing. Perhaps this message from him would calm her restless heart.

The next morning, the Pandava family gathered in the meeting chamber of the guests to talk to the messenger in the first prahara of the day. They were all impatient to read the respective letters addressed to them by Arjuna. Krishnaa sat beside Pritha, holding Shatanika who was playing with her necklaces.

"Before I hand over the letters from Rajakumara Arjuna, there's a message from Maharaja Chitravahana that has to be conveyed," the messenger pronounced and received a nod from the King of Indraprastha, signalling him to read the message out.

"Dharmaraja, I hope that you, your family and your subjects are in good health. Your Rajakumara Arjuna has married our Yuvarani Chitrangada, forging an illustrious alliance between our kingdoms. He also promised me that the child born of them will be the heir of the Pandyas. We've been under the Kuru rule of Hastinapura for years, but we are immensely glad to have this special alliance with Indraprastha which strengthens our connection with Maharaja Pandu's family. I wish that you bless the bride and the groom, and give your formal acceptance!

With many regards, the King of Manalura, Pandya Chitravahana."