|| Ekasaptati: The Announcement ||

Start from the beginning

"Janardhana, you can take away my position if I utter any untruth. I know it's not appropriate to present in the assembly but still it is the truth. You too have heard it along with me that Savyasachi and Maharani are living apart and there is no hope of reunion between them. Then what's unfair in my question or my demand?"

Before Krishna gave his answer, Arjuna stopped him by showing his palm subtly and walked towards where Satyaki was standing undeterred. On the other hand, Krishnaa was on the verge of bursting out into tears. She was feeling as if she was standing amidst fire, not the fire that sired her which was comforting like the mother's womb but a fire so very threatening, threatening to consume her wholly.

"Yuyudhana, what the world sees with its naked eye, is not always the truth. It might be the truth in one way but it's an untruth in another way. If there was no harmony between us, you wouldn't have known about that at all. Because we would've hid the truth from the world and you would've assumed that everything was normal between us. That's why you shouldn't have blind confidence in your mind because it can cast illusions on your vision!"

Arjuna descended down the steps and walked towards the other end of the assembly where the women were present. Krishnaa's eyes were lowered, her lips pressed against each other to contain her agony and her palms fisted and clutching the end of her uttariya. She would have given up all hopes on Arjuna and her relationship with him in that one moment of despair. She could imagine all her expectations culminating in disappointment once again. There was no wonder if he decided to accept Subhadra as his chief wife based on Satyaki's argument. Since Yudhishthira had given that word in haste, Prativindhya's position would also fall into risk. Everything would end up in a mess. Everything. Her family was silent till then because the Yadavas and Panchalas were discussing if she or Prativindhya are let down in this assembly, she knew that she would have to witness a strife amidst her natal family and her marital family.

'Why, Mahadeva? Why is this happening? Is it all my fault?' Tears trickled down her cheeks but she almost gasped when she felt the touch of a warm palm on her own. She raised her sight to meet Arjuna's, his facial expression firm and his stance furious though she could see through that firmness to decipher his sensitivity and through his fury to feel his anguish. What? Why was he holding her hand?

"Our marriage is not a matter of trade that loses its significance if we do not abide by the conditions of living together or having a child. For twelve years, my exile forced us to stay apart. By the time I returned, my actions had broken her heart. I hadn't married Subhadra because I stopped loving Krishnaa. Subhadra is my fourth wife and that's the truth. She cannot become my chief wife when the one who has tied the knot with me first, the one who brought me into the phase of Grihastha for the first time, she who loved and loves me beyond my shortcomings, she with whom I've dreamed each and every moment of my life, is present by my side. Subhadra came into my life as my wife two years ago but Krishnaa was there in my life and my heart for eighteen years. No one can take Krishnaa's position.

"We might have distance between us that keeps us apart temporarily but that doesn't mean our relationship has ended. Our relationship can deal with conflicts, with bitterness, with pain, and yet our love never ends. She will show her anger on me without any hesitation because that's the level of our closeness. The ability to be transparent before each other is the strength of our love. Ask me a hundred times but I'll cherish her anger more than anything else in the world. She's my world itself, how can you ask me to forsake my world, Satyaki?

'Her every emotion towards me is nothing but a disguise of her love. She is the foremost one in my life along with my mother and my brothers. Her name gives me value, her association gives me meaning and her love gives me completeness. She's the one who had rescued our family when we had no savior. Along with us, she had built this kingdom, this home and this household. No one has the right to talk about her rights here!"

Arjuna's uncharacteristic explosion took the entire assembly through a wave of shock. Satyaki took a few steps back and collided with Krishna who was standing right behind him, holding an expression of 'I had warned you beforehand' which made the former dip his chin in embarrassment. Balarama held Satyaki's wrist and dragged him towards the space where the Panchalas were standing silently.

"Apologise to Maharaja Drupada!" The son of Rohini directed.

"No!" Satyaki exclaimed. "I was just expressing my perspective!"

"You do not realize what your mistake was even after Arjuna's outburst? He's your friend for Mahadeva's sake. Try to understand his feelings at least now!"
Balarama sighed. "And if you have an ounce of affection for Subhadra, you will apologise to the Panchalas! We won't let our sister suffer due to what you spoke and how you behaved!"

"Alright." Satyaki huffed inaudibly and went ahead but before he could speak before the Panchalas, Yudhishthira's voice reverberated in the assembly.

"There's another statement that Arjuna wants to give!"

______

This was the most important chapter among the recent chapters. I hope I've been able to do justice to this.