Chapter 74 Seizing the throne

Start from the beginning

Li Gui took the order and unfolded the bright tyellow imperial edict. As soon as he read "The Emperor's Edict", he was interrupted by King Ming.

"Wait a minute! Dare I ask Imperial Grandmother, is this the posthumous edict written by the Emperor himself?

The Empress Dowager frowned and asked, "Is King Ming questioning aijia?"

Prince Ming said: "This grandson doesn't dare. It's just that this matter is of great importance after all. It would be good if we could convey the Emperor's holy will, but if something goes wrong, wouldn't it be a loss of royal face and make outsiders laugh? Many adults in the court recognize my Imperial Father's handwriting, so we might as well check it first before reading it out."

What he said was reasonable, and many ministers supported it. Behind the emerald screen, the Empress Dowager's old cheeks trembled, and then she said calmly: "There is no need to check, everyone knows that the Emperor was ill and cannot hold a brush.Therefore this posthumous edict was narrated by the Emperor himself and ghostwritten by aijia."

"Then I dare to ask my Grandmother if anyone else was present at the time."

The Empress Dowager sneered and said: "The Emperor's body is not yet cold, and King Ming no longer pays attention to aijia, this old woman. If you inherit the throne, I wonder if there is still room for aijia in the Palace."

King Ming hurriedly said that he did not dare.

The Seventh Prince said: "Imperial Brother, Imperial Grandmother is Imperial Father's biological mother. Could it be possible that there is fraudulence? You are trying every possible means to prevent the edict from being issued. I don't know what your intention is?"

King Xian also saw something fishy at this time, and interjected: "I think what the Eldest Imperial Brother said is reasonable. I had never heard of any edict left by Imperial Father, but it suddenly appears, which will inevitably make people suspicious. While Imperial Father was recuperating, the Empress was always taking care of him. If there was such a posthumous edict, it would be better to ask the Empress to come and we will know after asking."

The Sixth Prince said: "The Empress is the Crown Prince's biological mother. I'm afraid her words may be biased and cannot be used as evidence."

A few people couldn't argue for a while. At this time, Prince Sheng yawned and rolled up his sleeves. He walked between his imperial nephews, and glanced at their faces one by one. He always had a bad temper and didn't say anything. Logically speaking, several princes were wary of him, so they had to retreat continuously, not daring to conflict with him head-on.

Prince Sheng snorted softly, walked around behind the screen, took the "edict" from Li Gui's hand, and opened it to take a look. It really said that the Seventh Prince would inherit the throne. He sneered, stuffed the fake edict into his sleeve, took out his blank one, raised his voice and said: "I thought it was something, but it turns out that the Empress Dowager was joking with us. There isn't a single word in this edict."

As soon as he finished speaking, the Seventh Prince said in disbelief: "This is impossible!"

He stepped behind the screen and snatched the imperial edict from Prince Sheng's hand. Then his eyes sockets seem to break open and he shouted: "How is it possible... How is it possible that this is possible! It was obviously written by him, and even the seal was stamped by him, himself. How could it be blank?"

The Empress Dowager frowned and was about to say something, but Prince Sheng leaned down and whispered in her ear: "Imperial Mother, the late Emperor and my Imperial Brother are all watching from heaven."