Chapter 14 Palace Banquet (1)

The Mid-Autumn Festival arrived in the blink of an eye. This year is different from previous years. Emperor Qingzong hosted a banquet in the palace. All the officials with some esteem in Beijing were invited. It was not dark yet but the palaces had already hung colourful palace lantern decorations and the palace people are busy preparing for the palace banquet.

Ye Yanbai is an important minister of the imperial court and the Ye family is naturally among the first to arrive. Otherwise, if Emperor Qingzong asks: "Where is Minister Ye?" and Ye Yanbai cannot reply in time: "I am here" then it will definitely be a matter of life and death. No emperor likes to be brushed off, especially Emperor Qingzong.

The banquet was held in Wansheng Hall and the officials and family members who arrived first were arranged to rest in the side hall. Ye Yanbai took his two sons there to drink tea while Madam An went to the harem alone.

There was a concubine girl from a branch of the An family who was born well. She was brought into the harem by the Emperor a few years ago. Now she is the Concubine An. Although she is not favoured, she still has some respect in front of the Emperor. Madam An received her mother's request and went to visit her which was considered a sign of friendship between the clan.

Ye Yanbai held his smart and cute younger son in his arms and held the hand of his intelligent eldest son. As soon as he stepped in the palace, he became the centre of attention.

It was said that three years ago, the newly born son of the Ye family was critically ill and needed some medicine to save his life. The Tianshan Snow Lotus, sent as tribute from the Western Regions, was said to have miraculous effects on bringing the dead back to life. There were only three of them in Emperor Qingzong's private treasury and they were very precious on weekdays. He refuses to give it to others easily.

Prime Minister Ye knelt down in front of the imperial study room one day and one night without food or sleep. He finally moved the Emperor into giving the medicine to the Ye family. It was a scorching hot day in June. If you were a little weak, your life would be risked. After this incident, the reputation of Prime Minister Ye's beloved son spread widely.

It's just that this beloved young master has been kept in the back house of the boudoir and few people have seen him. Now that he finally shows his face, everyone can't help but find it a bit strange.

Ye Chongjin was taking a nap in his father's arms. He was wearing newly sewn clothes, a royal blue moiré brocade ruyi. His long black hair was combed behind his head and hung softly on his shoulders. When he raised his head slightly, the playful little curly hair on his forehead showed up.

The child's eyes were covered with mist and he was still a little confused. He had obviously just woken up. He grabbed the clothes on his father's chest and complained in a sweet voice: "A-Jin is sleepy..."

Prime Minister Ye's usually serious face suddenly became gentle. He patted his son on the back and coaxed patiently: "A-Jin, good boy, it's time to have dinner later. You can go to bed when you get home."

Ye Chongjin responded softly and then laid on his father's shoulder in a daze.

He originally buried his face in Ye Yanbai's arms, invisible to others. When it is heard, the soft voice of the baby causes the heart to itch. Now that the guileless child with a flawless face and bright black eyes flickering can be seen, the heart feels as if it has suddenly melted.

When some colleagues saw this, they flattered: "Prime Minister Ye, the Young Master is really cute and precious."

Ye Yanbai waved his hands quickly and said, "Where is it?" But he said in his heart, you really admire other people's children.

Some people who didn't follow the rules would reach out and pinch Ye Chongjin's face. How could Ye Chongjin be willing to be touched? He deftly avoided it. Instead of being annoyed, the person praised: "Young Master is really smart!"

Ye Yanbai couldn't help but darken his face. However there were many people here so he couldn't get angry easily. He put his son down and said, "A-Jin and your brother go to play outside. Don't go too far so that daddy can't find you."

Ye Chongjin also felt impatient with these people. These people relied on their age to take advantage. Staying here would only make him angry. He nodded and followed Ye Chonghui outside the hall.

The location of the Wansheng Palace is quite special. It is on the straight line between the Qianzheng Palace and the Harem Palace and is only separated by an imperial garden. Ye Chongjin remembered that during the Mid-Autumn Festival in his previous life, the river across the Imperial Garden would be filled with lit lanterns just like red lotuses blooming on the water which was so beautiful.

He was so pampered that when he thought of it, he pulled Ye Chongjin's sleeves and said, "Go over there." He stretched out his short hand and pointed in the direction of the imperial garden.

Ye Chonghui was concerned about his father's instructions and shook his head: "You can't go far or Father will not be able to find you."

"But Father is busy and can't take care of us," Ye Chongjin called softly: "Brother..."

A-Jin called brother then there is nothing to hesitate about. Ye Chonghui reached out and took his brother's doughy little hand and strode towards the imperial garden.