Chapter 74 Seizing the throne

Above the main hall, the civil and military officials were divided into several factions, and they were fighting for nothing more than the dragon chair in the Jinluan Palace. Several princes all look mournful and the tears on their faces were real and full of hatred. It was better not to follow their Imperial Father.

Only Gu You stood timidly in the corner, staring with a pair of red rabbit eyes. He learned that his Imperial Father died last night and cried all night. His eyes are still swollen now however he can no longer cry.

King Ming indeed has a deep foundation, and nearly half of the ministers in the court support him. In addition, he is the eldest son, which is irrefutable. Xue Hu, the Minister of Rites said: "A family cannot be without a master for a day, and a country cannot be without a king for a day. His Highness, King Ming has both political integrity and talent, and he is also the eldest son of His Majesty. It is most suitable for His Highness, King Ming to ascend the throne."

The Duke of Yue said: "This is wrong. His Majesty used to prefer King Xian and it is known throughout the imperial court. Naturally, it is more appropriate for King Xian to inherit the throne. "

Xue Hu sneered and said: "I dare to ask the Duke of Yue, what achievements did King Xian have in Jiangshan State? His Royal Highness, King Ming joined politics at the age of fifteen and solved more than ten corruption cases. Even His Majesty once praised the disaster relief work in Li County. Not to mention, he was seriously injured while trying to arrest the rebels of the previous dynasty..."

Several people spoke to each other, and the Duke of Yue was speechless. Gu Xian's face was ashen, but Prince Ming smiled and winked at Xue Hu.

Xue Hu walked to Ye Yanbai and said, "Prime Minister Ye, since everyone has no objections and His Royal Highness, King Ming is popular, why not let Prime Minister Ye draft the edict for his accession to the throne."

Ye Yanbai's mouth twitched and he was about to refuse, but he heard the chamberlain say: "The Empress Dowager has arrived——"

An emerald embroidered gold screen with hundreds of flowers was moved to the main hall by the palace people. Li Gui, the chief eunuch of the palace, helped the Empress Dowager into the Jinluan Palace. A line of palace maids and chambermaids followed behind her. She sat down behind the screen and said, "Everyone, please rise."

Seeing the arrival of the Empress Dowager, King Ming had an ominous premonition in his heart. When he saw the colour on the Seventh prince's face, he knew something was wrong.

He heard the Empress Dowager say: "Aijia has never liked to interfere in the affairs of the court, but last night ..." She paused for a moment, unable to hide her pain in her words, and said slowly: "Last night, the people of Daegu lost their king, and aijia also lost their closest relative. Although the harem is not allowed to interfere in politics, the throne is empty now. The situation in the court is uneasy, and the people are in panic all day long. For the sake of the people of Daegu, and to preserve the foundation created by the former Emperor Taizong, aijia had to show up.

She called out: "Eunuch Li, read out the Imperial Edict."

As soon as the word "edict" was uttered, the whole court was in an uproar. Prince Sheng had long been too impatient to listen to their quarrel, so he closed his eyes and dozed off. At this time, he was snoring loudly. Lu Lin woke him up and said: "Your Highness, the main event is here."

Prince Sheng opened one eye and looked up, then yawned and said, "It's boring, it's boring. You, Lu Lin, are the most boring kid."

Lu Lin smiled and said nothing.