CHAPTER 72: her mother's daughter

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷6 years later,"Visaera!" I shout, racing down the corridor of her rooms but there's no reply

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
6 years later,
"Visaera!" I shout, racing down the corridor of her rooms but there's no reply.

"Visaera!" I yell again but it's not my fierce nine-year-old daughter who answers my call but my eldest, Aelyx, standing almost as tall as me in his eleven years of age. Aelyx had shot up in height with age just as his father had, training night and day to feel worthy of his namesake.

In too much of a rush to embrace him, I take a peek into Visaera's chambers but there's no sign of her, only handmaidens packing away her final belongings in a chest.

"Where is your sister? She's to meet your grandfather at the docks any moment,"

At first, my loyal son doesn't want to reply, biting his tongue until he can't stand my motherly glare, cracking under pressure.

With a sigh he puts his hands behind his back in defeat, "She only asked I see over the rest of her things before she go-"

"Where's she gone, Aelyx?"

"With Father." He sighs, standing up straighter now that he's told me the truth. "They've been sparring all afternoon with Uncle Joffrey in the courtyard,"

Of course, I should've known Aemond had something to do with this.

For years Aemond and I had refused to send Visaera away. Still, the older she'd become the more independent she'd seemed, hardened by not claiming a dragon and insistent on adventuring and staying with the other side of our family on Driftmark.

With a deep breath, I ruffle his short white blonde hair, kept short to stay out of his eyes when riding dragon back and while wielding a sword.

"What of your cousins? They'll want to see your sister off,"

Aelyx frowns when I bring up Jaehaera and Jaehaeryn, "Jaehaera hasn't left her chambers. I was sent away by the handmaidens when I went to check on her,"

My stomach sinks. Last night she'd been quieter than usual, keeping to herself even when addressed by her brother and cousins because she hadn't felt well.

"And Jae I would assume is with Visaera," Aelyx rolls his violet eyes and I chuckle, locking arms as we make our way down the hallway.

"I'll check on her myself and meet you at the courtyard, hm?"

Nodding, he smiles back at me, "Of course, mother."

Just as he's said there's a knight posted at her door, standing a bit straighter when he notices me approach.

"My apologies, Princess, but the young lady's asked not to be disturbed. She's been resting all afternoon,"

"Thank you, Ser, but I only wish to check on her," I tell him sternly.

Standing aside he lets me pass with a curt nod.

Jaehaera's rooms are dark, the curtains drawn to shield her puffy eyes from the bright afternoon sun.