CHAPTER 56: the queen who never was

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷"Go on, little one

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
"Go on, little one. Just as I taught you," I give Jaehaeryn a pat on the head but take a step forward with him as he trembles in both excitement and fear.

When he hesitates he turns his gaze behind us where Elaena and her youngest brothers watched on from the hill perched just over the beaches where Vhagar had made her home for the afternoon.

Elaena nods to my nephew with a heartwarming smile that I catch myself staring at until her gaze meets mine, a flush warming her cheeks.

With the departure of Rhaenys and Baela, my song had been worrying herself sick and it's only been two days since they'd left for Rooks Rest. Naturally, I'd been doing my damndest to distract her, keeping a smile on her lips as if my very breath counted on it.

Clasping both hands on his shoulders, I guide him closer, leaning down to reassure him. "You are the blood of the dragon, Jaehaeryn. Just as the rest of us, your family. Do you understand?"

I tell him softly, but I can still see the doubt on his face and I'm riddled with memories of my brother. Aegon hadn't been scared he'd been confident, cocky even.

It was a wonder Sunfyre even let my brother mount him with the sheer size of his head.

"Go on, Jaehaeryn. She's waiting for you," I urge him closer, mirroring the reassuring smile that Elaena had given him from afar and it's the last push he needs, looking up to my dragon in awe.

"Rytsas, Vhagar!" He calls out earning the old dragon's attention.
*Hello, Vhagar!

Vhagar only tilts her massive head slightly to regard my nephew, her lip curling back as she grumbles in greeting.

Hoisting the small boy over my shoulders he screams in glee, latching onto my hair to steady himself and I cringe in pain as our audience laughs from the hills.

Taking his small hand in mine, I press his palm against Vhagar's weathered skin and she flinches at first but makes a rumbling noise that resembles a pur, her eye first closing and then opening even wider than before to look at the both of us.

He's done it, she trusts him.

Jaehaeryn hops down running back to his cousins who are already cheering for him but I stay behind, placing my hand once more on Vhagar's snout as a way of thanking her.

"Kirimvose, uēpa raqiros"
*Thank you, old friend.

As I turn to join them, Vhagar stretches her wings, blocking out the falling sun from the sky until she flies back to the caves, having had her fill of interaction for the day.

Walking backward for a moment I don't notice Elaena's come to join me until her sweet giggle meets my ears.

"Seasmoke is going to be quite jealous when he's realized it was Vhagar who's gotten all the attention today."