CHAPTER 33: no prisoners

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷This afternoon felt like a dream sent from the future of our fantasies

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
This afternoon felt like a dream sent from the future of our fantasies. If raising our children together would be anything like today I'd forever be falling hopelessly in love with Elaena.

Every moment away from her was agony. Every sleepless night brought nightmares from the deepest depths of the seven hells and though I knew I deserved every moment, I would fall apart to nothing if she hadn't returned soon or worse, left me for good.

When I heard her voice beckoning through the night I was sure it was another one of my nightmares, coming to haunt me for all the irreparable damage I'd done, but when I'd seen her fiery violet eyes charging toward me it didn't matter why she'd come, all that mattered was that she was back.

All afternoon it felt as if we were back to square one, rebuilding the trust and comfort between us one step at a time.

Though my physical urges surged even more so than before, I wouldn't allow myself anything more than the small bouts of affection we'd shared throughout the day.

A brush of the hand, a caress of her soft skin... it was all I had at this point.

Watching Elaena with Jaehaeryn healed every broken piece of my heart, their laughter, and infectious happiness were a beacon of hope for what was to come.

As soon as I settled these matters we'd return to Dragonstone where our peace and our family would be properly protected, I would not fail her again.

Checking in on Jaehaeryn I ensure he's comfortable with the handmaidens chosen to watch over him before taking my leave to escort Elaena to dinner.

With an eagerness in my step, I climb the steps toward her chambers.

Striking me dead in my tracks her soft singing voice spills from her cracked open door. Lingering by it, I open the door a bit further to hear her more clearly leaning against the door frame.

With her braids sitting so that they looked almost like a crown, I knew it was only a matter of time before she would wear the real thing.

Running a brush through her shimmering white-blonde locks I can't see her face but her beautiful melody is enough.

"The bleeding star had flown so far
The air had turned to ash
The walls of stone would stand no more
but the song will never end,

Through war and battle, bloodshed may come
Bones and ruin will pile to the sun,
But the war isn't over, it's only just begun"

The lost dragon's song...

I would listen to Elaena sing for hours on end but just as she turned in the mirror she notices me by the door, making her jump in her skin.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." Biting at my lip I quit with the excuse and settle on honesty taking a deep breath, "Your voice is captivating... it's just felt like so long."