CHAPTER 3: a prince, perhaps

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷

The castle was far different than I remembered it. It may have only been a couple of years since we left for Dragonstone but the halls of the red keep were once bustling with excitement but now...

Now it was a dark shadow that paled in comparison just as my grand sire, Viserys.

Ahead of me Daemon and my mother walked side by side, her hand resting on her pregnant belly that would hopefully bring me my first sister.

Lucerys and Jace however had fallen behind, yearning for their piece of nostalgia.

Only a few weeks after Lady Laena's funeral on Driftmark, my mother and true father married in the way Old Valyria when my father by law was murdered in cold blood by a paramour of his own.

My brothers, Baela, Raena and I watched from afar hardly understanding the impact this would have on our House when we'd barely had time to grieve.

"Elaena, we're to have a meeting with the Queen before court. Keep an eye on your brothers, hm?" My mothers soft purple eyes tried to hide her demons but I was old enough now to sense her unease.

Raising a concerned eyebrow, Daemon and I exchange a knowing glance.

Putting a loose strand of my white blonde hair behind my ear, my mother's hand caresses my face in comfort before sending me off on my older sister duties.

Wandering the familiar halls my mind drifted to the very person whom I wanted to see upon returning to Kings Landing.

No one knew of Aemond and I's late night ride in the skies that led to that night of rage besides the two of us and I wondered if he'd held our happier memories as fond as I had... or maybe I was just the bastard girl who'd followed him like a lost puppy in our youth.

It wasn't long before I found the dark haired boys filling into the crowd circling around none other than Aemond himself who stood at at least two feet taller than when I last saw him.

His white blonde hair was tied back out of his handsome chiseled face, revealing the now healed scar and his eye patch to cover it.

Every blow Ser Criston swung was dodged swiftly and countered by Aemond who impressed every lord and lady who watched, Jace and Luke however seemed shocked by our Uncles transformation.

As boys they never got along, Aemond being the scapegoat at every turn even with Aegon who hadn't grown his sense of loyalty until later in life.

Bringing me out of my haze a loud crash is met with gasps from the crowd when Aemond's shield splinters apart.

Tossing it to the side his gaze meets mine as I watch from the stairs and the corner of his lips tip up in a grin, warming my entire body.

Aemond and I stare at one another for what feels like an eternity and it still isn't long enough when he breaks our connection to continue swinging at his target, now with something to prove.