CHAPTER 43: kinslayer

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷I'd claimed one of the most ferocious dragons in the realm and it hadn't mattered, I'd lost control

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
I'd claimed one of the most ferocious dragons in the realm and it hadn't mattered, I'd lost control.

My breathing becomes erratic, uncontrollable at best.

I killed him.

Her dream had been about me and she'd seen it all coming.

It was I who was the threat all this time, I'd been the monster.

"No, no, no," I murmur to myself in desperation as everything I'd grown to love and cherish vanished before me.

Vhagar circles back around and I get a better look at the carnage as it falls through the sky but Daeron is still on the attack, blasting Vhagar with bursts of flames while I'm distracted.

Looking back and forth between Daeron and the remaining bits of Arrax I have to make the choice.

Revenge? Or hope?

Without a second thought, I tighten the reigns and call out to Vhagar, "Adhirikydho, Vhagar! Dive, now!"
*quickly, Vhagar

Vhagar grunts in annoyance with Daeron at our tail but she does as I command, diving through the clouds back into the storm where the lightning splits the sky.

Distant screams ring out somewhere deeper beneath us and I wonder if it's my mind playing tricks on me, or truly my nephew falling hopelessly just out of reach. Either way, it didn't matter, if there was a one-in-a-million chance I could save him, I would follow him to the seven hells for Elaena.

I'd promised her, and I would not break her heart again.

It isn't until we break through the clouds that I finally see him, alive and whole but falling almost faster than Vhagar can fly.

Almost.

"We must save him Vhagar, now!"

As if she feels my urgency through our bond she ducks her head and sets her wings straight back so we're mere riders of the wind, cascading through the sky.

Practically free falling, we don't see Tessarion coming when she slams into the side of us, and instead of fleeing the blue beast clings to Vhagar like a parasite.

She bites and claws at her already fragile wings and my poor dragon cries out in pain, spinning and flapping her wings to break free from them.

Growling in frustration the painful cries from Vhagar break my heart and there's hardly anything I can do except save Luke.

"DRACARYS, Vhagar! Now!"

She twists her neck firing at Tessarion and her own body, burning her wounds in the process but it does an intended, untangling us at the last moment as we break through the clouds.

I regain my bearings, looking everywhere for the little lord surrounded by the endless ocean but Vhagar must see him before I do, correcting her course to grab him, scooping him from the jaws of death with only a second to spare before he crashes against the surface of the ocean.