CHAPTER 64: my brother's keeper (edited)

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷"Where is he, Alicent?! Tell me where he's gone!" Elaena demands, my mother's face twisting in pain as my fierce wife's grip tightens around her arm

𝓐𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
"Where is he, Alicent?! Tell me where he's gone!" Elaena demands, my mother's face twisting in pain as my fierce wife's grip tightens around her arm.

"HE'S GONE! He's fled with Ser Criston just before you arrived, girl. You're too late," tears spill down my mother's face at her confession, and my stomach churns at the thought of my brother escaping death once more.

Elaena turns to me, her captivating eyes speaking the words before they fall from her lips.

"Go after him," she orders, more my Queen than my sweet girl this day than I've ever seen her.

"No, Elaena, I won't leave you-"

"He can't get away, Aemond."

I want to tell her she's mad, how could I leave her now when we were in the depths of the dragon's jaw?

Taking a step toward her Elaena nods only slightly, assuring me without saying a word.

Trust me.

Finally, with a displeased grunt I do as I'm told taking off in a sprint through my mother's chamber door but not without one last glance at her.

She's strong, she can take care of herself but that doesn't mean she should.

Cursing under my breath my mind is racing with any possible route Cole could get him out of the city. They must've made it through the passageways already but all gates would be secure... that's if the citizens of Kings Landing hadn't run for their lives.

As I take the steps two at a time, the Red Keeps walls rumble at the sound of a dragon's furious roar and I find comfort in knowing it isn't Seasmoke but another familiar cry, one I hadn't heard in months.

No, it can't be.

Throwing open the nearest door I push myself out into the crowd of people flooding the streets to take cover from the dragons who fought above in the sky.

Tessarion had a bone to pick with Vermithor, their battle unfinished from Harrenhal even though the young dragon had been riderless since my little brother's passing. And she wasn't alone, Sunfyre had joined her.

The Greens had pulled us into the city distracting Elaena and me long enough for us to dismount our dragons, but thankfully Rhaenyra was still tucked safely away until things were secure though now it could be hours until we took the city.

Think, think, how could he get out? Where would Cole take him?

I think I might be going mad when I see a lone white flash in a group of commoners and when they throw up their hood I about turn away until he turns to get a glance around, our eyes locking from across the courtyard.

Aegon.

I wasn't too late.

Leaping down the remainder of the steps he chances another panicked look over his shoulder as I dodge the terrified people, staring wide-eyed at the dragons that fought above us.