CHAPTER 24: no room for fear

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷The old man's hands squeezed and prodded at my breasts as Aemond squirmed protectively nearby insisting on watching the exam after we'd shared our delicate news with the maester

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
The old man's hands squeezed and prodded at my breasts as Aemond squirmed protectively nearby insisting on watching the exam after we'd shared our delicate news with the maester.

Still unsure the man scratches his head, confused.

"It's soon as you said, very soon but I believe you're with child." He confirms and I turn excitedly to Aemond who's already watching me with a starry eyed gaze, a smile creeping out from beneath his hand.

"Thank you Maester Cressen, we appreciate it." I smile, trying to make up for my husband's brashness from earlier.

"Certainly, princess. Take things slow, your body may be weak from the bed rest but you should be well enough for dragonback come morning." Giving us both a nod he leaves us and we're alone at last for the evening.

Climbing carefully into bed next to me Aemond hands me a bowl of stew that looked less that appealing.

"It may not compare to Kings Landing but you're eating for two now." He grins, kissing me on the forehead before sinking into the pillows besides me.

Bringing a spoonful of it to my mouth I swallow it whole, hoping not to taste it as it goes down.

Aemond watches with an amused smirk, his fingers drawing shapes on the bareness of my back.

"I wrote your mother and father. They've returned to Dragonstone... our mothers had a bit of an disagreement." His smooth voice keeps me calm despite the bad news though I'd expected some fallout from my stunt.

"About me?" I ask, shoveling another bite in my mouth.

"I won't burden you with all the credit, my song." He grins, his teasing tone hinting at more.

"Oh? Did we upset them by solving their little problem for them?" I giggle and he arches an eyebrow at me.

"She might be more upset that I announced to the council you were my wife and nothing was going to stop me from coming after you... something along those lines." He drawl's on, almost bored of the topic as he watches me for my reaction.

Dropping the spoon into the bowl I stare at my husband wild eyed, my lips tipping up into a proud grin.

Our wild violet eyes connect and understanding washes over his chiseled face.

We were no longer a secret kept from those in power, we were free to be open with our love.

Taking his face with my free hand I brush the pad of my thumb gently across his scar.

"I wish I'd been there to see their faces, my prince."

Leaning into my hand his tired eye flutters shut and what looks to be the world falls off of his shoulders.

"I thought I lost you... you'd just become my wife and I'd lost you." His deep serious voice gives me goosebumps, never hearing him speak so thoughtfully before.