CHAPTER 44: pure as snow

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷Winterfell was a dull estate in comparison to Kings Landing and its warm, crowded city

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
Winterfell was a dull estate in comparison to Kings Landing and its warm, crowded city. Given the circumstances it's welcoming. There was no stench or sins that plagued every dark corner or home, no, there was law there was order.

Hard-working men and women welded, cut meat, or trained in the courtyard where small bonfires sheltered any who sought warmth from the northern chill.

Cradling my belly beneath my cloaks I whisper to the growing babe inside of me, "Another adventure, little one."

As I walk up to the guards their mouths are agape, in shock at my arrival but by their reaction, I assume they know exactly who I am.

Clearing my throat their gazes snap away from my body and to my narrowed fierce eyes.

"I'm here to see my brother, Jacaerys Velaryon. He was sent as an envoy to treat with your Lord-"

"Elaena?!"

My ears perk up at the familiar voice and I find my brother in the courtyard straight away but he isn't alone.

Behind him Cregan Stark wore thick furs alike my brother, framing his shoulders even wider than what I remember and he's grown a bit of facial hair to frame his jaw.

Jace crashes to my chest and judging by the tight hold he offers me, he's already heard the news of our little brother and without much control, tears flood my tired eyes.

"It's all my fault, all of it." I cry softly into his shoulder but he shakes his head, tightening his hold.

"No. No, it's not all your fault... you were right." His broken voice shocks me. I'd been expecting rage, anger, blame all of it but my little brother didn't seem to hold any of it against me and for that, I'd be eternally grateful.

Pulling back to look at him, his warm brown eyes are downcast, avoiding my own.

"You were right, it was too dangerous. We should've sent ravens... he was too young."

I couldn't remember the last time Jace had told me I was right about anything. When I'd made my relationship with Aemond public knowledge he'd all but told me to burn in the seven hells.

My mouth goes dry and I can't find the words I'd so delicately planned on my flight here but maybe it was for the best.

"Welcome to Winterfell, princess. I'm sorry your visit isn't under better circumstances." Cregan approaches slowly, uneager to interrupt the sibling moment we shared, and the tension between us was still thick despite the months we'd spent apart.

The last time I'd seen Cregan Stark he was bleeding out in the sand after Aemond had won my hand in marriage. The memory is bittersweet, bringing back that gnawing feeling of betrayal and heartbreak.

If it was possible, my frown deepens when Cregan's eyes connected with mine.

"Thank you, Lord Stark. To be truthful I'd hoped not to visit at all." Cocking my head to the side a bit he arches an eyebrow at my witty reply.