CHAPTER 25: emptied goblets

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷 The sand shifts beneath my feet, dodging another one of Aemond's blows before clashing our swords once again

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
The sand shifts beneath my feet, dodging another one of Aemond's blows before clashing our swords once again.

"Your knees Elaena, keep them bent!" Jace calls out from the sidelines where he sat with Luke.

Doing as I'm told I keep low but Aemond's smirk warns me of his next move.

Twirling his sword as he does before a blow I knock it away sending it to the sand.

Holding up his hands in defeat Aemond stalks closer despite my sword pointed at his chest of armor, his eye focused in on my lips with a familiar hunger.

"You're improving, my love." Licking his grinning lips he leans down for a kiss but I tilt the blade playfully at his throat.

"I'm afraid I've only grown to recognize your tells, husband." Narrowing my glimmering eyes at him in challenge, he wraps an arm around my waist.

"Hm, and what tells are you recognizing right now, Princess?" He mutters, his deep sensual voice meant only for me.

Tipping up my chin I'm mesmerized by the sight of his sharp features in the sunlight until my little brother breaks us from our desired reality.

"Perhaps you need a new opponent, dear sister!" Jacerys offers himself, his sword at the ready but Aemond's body freezes in front of me.

Even before I was carrying our child it was no secret Aemond was protective over me. Now no one with a pointy object (besides Aemond of course) was allowed within ten feet of me but with our pregnancy still a secret, my brothers only imagined he was acting as his usual self.

"He won't hurt me, Aemond." I assure him but he doesn't seem so certain, his grip around my waist tightening.

His violet eye held not only a husbands concern but a fathers, and before my eyes I'm imagining him with a daughter fending off any dishonorable suitor who may vie for her hand.

A small smile tugs at my lips at the thought as Aemond's concern shifts to that of love, almost reading my thoughts.

"I don't think the hero of the Stepstones need be afraid to face her little brother!" Jace teases, unsheathing his sword but Aemond narrows his eye at him as he comes closer to us.

"We'll be fine," I whisper, referring to the growing babe in my stomach and he notices, turning to look at me with a proud grin.

Kissing me on the forehead he lets me go regretfully, wandering back to the sidelines where Luke watched our affections uncomfortably.

Despite being home for a month the tension between them persisted whether they tried to hide it from me or not. They rarely spoke to one another unless they were made to, Jace included.

"Do you doubt your wife's abilities, Uncle?" Jace taunts with a smile and we all hold our breaths for his response.

"Never, nephew. If she best's me you'll be child's play," Aemond chuckles, his gaze sweeping up my body proudly earning a laugh from both Luke and I.