CHAPTER 19: no grave will keep me

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷The afternoon seemed to drag on watching the many men fight amongst themselves when the match that truly mattered was waiting in the wings, the tension felt even amongst the crowd

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷
The afternoon seemed to drag on watching the many men fight amongst themselves when the match that truly mattered was waiting in the wings, the tension felt even amongst the crowd.

Slight mumbles are exchanged between my mother and father regarding the Stepstones. My mother's earlier words echo through my mind about being respectful so I bite my tongue, but only for now.

Swirling my cup I take a sip of wine my gaze finding Aemond speaking with a squire. That must've meant his time was near.

Peeking over my shoulder I notice Helaena walking over, leaving Aegon to his many emptied goblets of wine.

Taking the empty seat next to me I'm relieved to see a friendly face, her presence almost as calming as Aemond but even gentler than that of Daeron their youngest sibling whom spent most of these years at Oldtown as a squire.

"Beautiful day for a wedding," she whispers clasping her hand with mine excitedly and I almost choke on my mouthful of wine.

"I suppose it is," I say, double taking to look back at her but I don't have time to ask what she means, the announcer starting the final rounds.

"Prince Aemond will now choose his opponent!" The crowd roars for their prince, me alongside them.

At the mention of his name I'm at full attention, eyes glued to Aemond who's already staring straight back at me, a smirk toying at the corner of his lips.

Mounting his horse he passes by each of them until he stops right before Cregan. Unsheathing his sword he points to him, the tip of his sword sending the Stark Lord back a step.

Small gasps can be heard through the stands, quiet unease blanketing the field like a late nights snow.

Jace looks to me, his unease (though unintentional) only meant he knew what Aemond was capable of. His little friend would be sent back to Winterfell wife-less and bruised black and blue if my soon to be husband had anything to do with it.

"Prince Aemond Targaryen has chosen Lord Cregan Stark of Winterfell as his opponent!" The man announces and everyone begins to applaud hesitantly, knowing now that the rumors about the prince and princess were true.

Aemond was to fight his nieces betrothed, taking her as his own but the Lord of Winterfell wouldn't go down easily.

Cregan swats away Aemond's sword, glaring at him before taking his place at the opposite end of the sand.

Noticing Cregan's irritability Aemond's full faced grin makes its appearance. There wasn't a doubt that Aemond was going to make a show of this, using his stage to its full advantage.

Turning his horse around he makes a point to walk by me, nodding in promise of victory not only for him but for us.

Riding up to the squire he retrieves his lance and assumes the position.