CHAPTER 8: play with fire

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷Doing a last turn in front of the mirror I correct a few loose strands of hair and I'm finally satisfied

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷
Doing a last turn in front of the mirror I correct a few loose strands of hair and I'm finally satisfied. My lips were still a bit swollen from all the kissing and biting courtesy of Aemond but it was a reminder of our time together as if it hadn't been running through my mind all evening.

Taking my leave I'm quick with my venture to the Red Keep, already running late as it was my nature.

On the right hand side of the table sat my Mother and Father along with Jace and Luke with their betrothed, Baela and Rhaena. On the left Aegon stood with Aemond who was seemingly bored with the conversation until I walk in and all of his attention is reserved for me.

My lips tip up into a shy smile, afraid to show any any kind of emotion in the room of people I'd walked into.

Aegon and Otto seem to notice Aemond's distraction with me and sure enough the room grows silent as I approach the table sitting at the only empty seat on the right side next to Jace.

"Glad you could join us, good sister. I was beginning to think you took your dragon back to Dragonstone to avoid Cregan." Jace jokes but he isn't far off. I hadn't been looking forward to the arrangement especially after my afternoon with Aemond.

"There's still time, Jace. Don't tempt me." I warn, pointing a knife at him.

"When I was a few years shy of Elaena's age I was being paraded on a ship across Westeros to find a proper husband. You're all quite fortunate that you've been found suitable matches and so close to home. " My mother takes a sip of her wine and I steal a glance at Aemond who's pretending not to pay attention but takes a gulp from his cup.

"He'll be entering the tourney from what I heard.
Proper time to assess his skill." Daemon adds but I can hardly fathom a tourney and feast in our honor. I had no intention of marrying the Stark lord, it was only a matter of letting it be known.

Coming from behind me there's a commotion and everyone rises from the table, anticipating the arrival of Viserys.

The knights carry the decrepit man in his seat to the middle of the dining table between both Queen Alicent and my mother Rhaenyra.

Everyone watches in silence with heavy hearts as the old man struggles to get comfortable but I'm distracted by Aegon taking his seat in between Helaena and I, leaving Aemond to the end of the table with his Grandfather where I can feel his irritation growing as he watched from afar.

I wanted Aemond at my side, and freely as my husband and fierce protector. I wanted to share a bed every evening with no guilt or shame as my Mother now did with my Father. Truly she would understand, wouldn't she? Her and Daemon's affair before she wed Ser Laenor was the entire reason I'd come into this world to begin with.

"How good it is, to see you all tonight, together. This is an occasion for celebration it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke will marry their cousins Baela and Rhaena further strengthening the bond between our houses, and my granddaughter Elaena, good fortune in her meeting with Ser Cregan Stark. A toast to the young Princes and Princess and their betrothed!" Pausing for breath where he needed, Grandsire raises his cup, all of us following suit.