CHAPTER 35: the usurper

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷It took a bit of convincing but for the first time in a week, I'd allowed Jaehaeryn to spend the evening with the twins

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
It took a bit of convincing but for the first time in a week, I'd allowed Jaehaeryn to spend the evening with the twins. Though they would hardly know they were siblings for years to come, Helaena and her children for now would assume that Jae was Aemond's bastard and not Aegon's.

Since the night of Tessa's death even the air feels different, everything having a touch of darkness that it didn't have before, but perhaps maybe it was just me. Jaehaeryn was getting along nicely, and his new friends a big help in distracting him from what happened.

Aemond with the exception of his feeble attempts to speak to Aegon but I couldn't say I blamed him. They were brothers, cut from the same cloth no matter how differently shaped or colored.

We weren't sure how Aegon would react to us wanting to take in Jae but we were sure that Aegon wasn't fit to be a true father to him.

Every corner of Kings Landing was dangerous and every day spent here was a limit I didn't want to push for any longer.

As I approach our chambers to retire for the night there's a loud crashing sound that comes from within and I falter back, reaching for my knife tucked away against my thigh.

Pushing open the door I realize it's no threat at all but my own husband who'd thrown open the dresser drawers, tossing our belongings into any nearby bag or chest.

Aemond slams a chest closed and I jump, squealing, drawing his attention.

Turning to look at me his anger dissolves, "Elaena,"

His gaze finds the knife in my hand and his face falls, his frown deepening.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." he sighs a breath of frustration, resting his palms on the chest bringing his broad shoulders straight as he hangs his head, something deeper troubling him.

Placing the knife on the table I close the door behind me. Walking up behind him I rest my cheek on his back, wrapping my arms around his waist.

Aemond runs his hands over my arms down to my hands where he interlocks our fingers, his entire body relaxing against mine.

"What's troubling you, my love? Did you talk to Aegon?"

Turning around to face me he cups my face in his hands, tilting my chin so he could get a better look at my healing stitches.

"We may heal from what happened but I fear Aegon won't... I underestimated how much she meant to him and I fear he'll never forgive me for it."

He kisses my forehead, pulling back just a hair so he can admire me with a frown as he imagines it, "I know I wouldn't forgive him if he took you from me."

"You two are very different men. He may surprise you." I offer some hope though I was in no way Aegon's biggest fan, I did sympathize with his loss.

"Hmph, he already has. He's said he wants nothing to do with Jaehaeryn and I'm afraid if we leave him in anyone's care other than ourselves he won't make it the year." Taking a seat at the foot of the bed, Aemond rests his elbows on his thighs and interlocks his fingers, fiddling with his thumbs he's lost in thought.