CHAPTER 9: burning alive

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷All alone a small dragon rises from a treacherous storm, struggling to navigate through the wind and rain it's small wings seeking relief higher in the sunshine

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓥𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷
All alone a small dragon rises from a treacherous storm, struggling to navigate through the wind and rain it's small wings seeking relief higher in the sunshine.

Lucerys turns side to side, his hair wet sticking to his forehead, chocolate brown eyes wide with terror when lightning strikes and his body falls lifeless to the stormy waters.

"Luke!" I scream, my voice raw from the shrill. Sitting straight up in my bed I wipe the sweat from my forehead with the back of my hand.

Barely giving me a chance to recover from the tears streaming down my cheeks the door swings open but I can't even look at him, sobs wracking through my body uncontrollably and I can hardly breathe.

"Elaena," Aemond's deep sleepy voice comforts me more than I care to admit, his footsteps approaching swiftly after he closes the door behind him.

Unable to look at him in the face he doesn't care, scooping me up and wrapping me in his strong arms.

"Sh, you're okay, I've got you." He whispers, running his fingers through my hair to soothe me and it works that is until the image flashes before me again, a deep shiver running up my spine but he only holds me tighter surrounding me in his warmth.

"It was just a nightmare. Whatever it was, it's gone, you're safe-"

"It was Luke and Arrax, there was a storm and he fell, he died, Aemond, he died-" my breathing grows erratic but he takes my face between his hands forcing me to look into at him.

"It was just a nightmare-"

"It wasn't. It felt so real they always feel so real."

"I won't let anything happen, I swear this to you." He doesn't even think before he says it and I wonder if he realizes what he's just said.

"Aemond, you were at each other's throats all evening-"

"They wanted a rise out of me so I gave it to them. They know how I feel about you." His tone shifts and my calm morphs into anger still unresolved from earlier.

"And now everyone knows."

"Good, I want them to know. Maybe now little Cregan will stay the fuck away from you." Pushing up off the bed he goes to the window, taking a deep breath of frustration.

Walking up behind him I lay my cheek against his back, his tense body relaxing beneath me.

"You wondered where I'd been all day?" His smooth velvet voice entrances me so I only nod, eager to hear more.

Taking an extra moment to search my eyes the corner of his lips tip upward.

Grabbing a tote left on the bedside table Aemond brings it over, flipping it open to grab what's inside.