CHAPTER 55: banners fall, burned to ash

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷"We should take Kings Landing the moment she wakes

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
"We should take Kings Landing the moment she wakes. We have the men we have the dragons,"

Aemond's voice is close, nearby in the shadows of my deep sleep and I can almost reach out and touch him, but another familiar voice joins him.

"He'll expect this of you, Aemond. We can't take Kings Landing, not yet-"

Mother.

I use all of my strength to speak, but my lips don't move, and my eyelids are far too heavy to lift.

"Then my brother will expect it when I incinerate him to dust for what he's done. The last thing he'll hear as he burns is our mother begging for mercy, but he'll never have it, not from me."

Aemond is furious but why? What were they so worried about?

I don't think about it for long before I'm slipping back into my deep sleep but for how long I can't be sure.

I'm floating in black nothingness, something relatively peaceful when I hear a small tune being hummed far off.

Not to the right of me or the left but all around, surrounding me.

Red of scale, golden too, dragons danced along with blue
Buildings crumble and banners fall, burned to ash for who they call
One soul saved is one soul lost, no bones to bury, ash nor frost
When all is done, who will survive?
For what's the point when they've all died?

The song was sung so joyfully but it spoke of dragons and death, repeated over and over again until I had it memorized.

There's some loud movement and the slam of a door when I finally come to, my fingers wiggling at first and then at last my eyes shoot open.

"Elaena! Thank the gods," My mother is the very first thing I see, holding me to her chest and she almost crushes me with her tight hold, running her fingers through my hair soothingly as she did when we were children.

"Mother? Good morning, what's happened? Where's Aemond?" I chuckle nervously with a hint of confusion, noting Aemond's absence immediately as my mother sits back on the bed, giving me space to breathe.

"Alert Prince Aemond of his wife. He'll want to know she's awake straight away,"

Sending the knight from the room he nods in understanding, leaving us at once at the Queen's order.

Despite her shoulders' tension, my mother's tight-lipped smile doesn't falter, looking me over in relief to grab my hand.

"Ser Arryk snuck onto the island last night with the intentions of what we aren't sure, but by the time Aemond arrived, Ser Erryk had made his last stand to protect you."

Ser Erryk? His last stand? No that couldn't mean...

"H-he died? For me? He was our most trusted knight- who stands guard now?" Struggling with my words I go for the door but my mother pulls me back, "Your brave brothers are who stand guard, sweet girl."