CHAPTER 49: a promise kept

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷It'd been a whole day without a word from Jacaerys and after a night of tossing and turning now, it feels as though I'd lost both of my oldest brothers

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
It'd been a whole day without a word from Jacaerys and after a night of tossing and turning now, it feels as though I'd lost both of my oldest brothers.

When I wake up early this morning the sun shines through the windows with a promise of a better day and doing my best to stay hopeful I get an early start despite nausea that crept in.

Giving Jacaerys free rein of the halls I'd spent all morning in the Godswood avoiding the sideways glances of the people who wandered the corridors buried in the books I'd taken from the libraries.

The odds their texts would say much on Old Valyria were slim but with endless time and thoughts to avoid I dive through the mounds of books in search of something about my bleeding star.

Even Seasmoke was out to take in the sun, spending all morning in the skies circling over the Godswood in a way to stay close.

"I should've expected you'd be out enjoying the sunshine,"

Looking up from my book I smile, greeting the only person who hadn't looked at me with hatred or disdain.

With the temperature climbing, Cregan decided against his thick furs and wore only his thin leather tunic with a long-sleeved shirt beneath to keep him warm, but I only look for a moment, feeling guilty for taking the time to gaze at him in the first place.

"Jace still won't speak to me, I figured I'd do him a favor keeping to myself,"

Uncrossing his arms from his broad chest Cregan frowns as he approaches me.

"I don't think that would be doing anyone any favors, Princess."

A light blush comes to my cheeks at his small compliment but I pretend to continue reading my book though I instead read the same line over and over again as I feel his handsome smirk burning into the side of my face while he watches, amused.

Cregan takes his seat beside me under the tree but he keeps quiet in his attempt to let me read in peace but his body heat next to me was all too distracting.

"Was there something you wanted, Lord Stark?"

I arch an eyebrow at him over my shoulder and he chuckles deeply, "I'd initially come to invite you to breakfast but this seems like a more peaceful way to spend my morning,"

I laugh at the idea of peace. I hadn't experienced much of that for almost two weeks now.

All I had were questions and the only person that could answer them was nowhere to be found. I had half a mind to see him myself and demand answers, perhaps I would.

I don't know how long I sit there staring wordlessly at the skyline. Closing my eyes for just a moment I take a deep breath of the crisp northern air, fiddling with the rings that grew tighter around my fingers.