CHAPTER 68: the longest night that ever was

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷The week had been packed full of feasts, tournaments, and fittings for Luke and Rhaena's wedding

𝓔𝓵𝓪𝓮𝓷𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝔂𝓮𝓷
The week had been packed full of feasts, tournaments, and fittings for Luke and Rhaena's wedding. Though Aemond had only just returned home he remained by my side for every moment without a single complaint making the surprise I held even harder to keep.

For nearly two years I'd waited for the special occasion in which I could wear my grandmother's dress but I'd waited even longer to wear the jewelry I'd always paired it with.

For months Aemond glanced at my neckline with a frown, most likely assuming I'd lost his gifted necklace or suspecting I'd destroyed it, and while he might've been right he never asked, never putting me in the position to give him an answer that might hurt the both of us.

But years later here I stood in front of the mirror appreciating the woman I'd become staring back at me.

I often wondered when the moment was that I shed my childhood. When was it that colors grew muted lacking the saturation that it had when Aemond and I were children?

This week may be about Luke and Rhaena but tonight was for Aemond and I, even if no one knew it but us.

I hear him before I see him, his heavy footsteps echoing from down the hall and suddenly my hands are clammy, my fingers trembling at the anticipation of my husband's arrival.

"This coat is far tighter than I remember-"

Finally when he rounds the corner I watch in the mirror as his sharp jaw drops in reaction to my appearance.

Immediately my put-together husband is at a loss for words and those damned dragons from before return, swooping in furious loops around my chest down into my stomach.

Resting my palms on my stomach nervously I turn to face him, a red-hot blush coming to my cheeks as his hungry gaze drinks me in until he finally sees my necklace, his necklace.

Nervously he approaches me, patient with each step while he savors our moments alone from the feast and I'm dumbstruck by him.

He's right about his jacket, it's nearly bursting at the seams around his biceps. Reaching for his arms he moves first, his focus definite.

Aemond's long fingers curl around the black sapphire jewels that hang around my neck, his touch burning hot against my cool skin, "I thought... I thought it was gone forever," He manages through thick emotion.

"I thought so too at first," I reply solemnly. He gives me a moment to continue, trailing his fingertips up my arm to push back a stray strand of hair over my shoulder.

Hanging my head I knew this moment would come but that month of doubt had been dark and there wasn't a day I hadn't felt the guilt buried deep in my heart about our time apart.

Patiently Aemond awaits my response but the words weigh heavy on my tongue.

"I destroyed it when I heard the news of Luke. I took Seasmoke to Winterfell and did my best to leave you behind me, but I couldn't, I didn't want to." I admit, tears burning in the back of my throat but Aemond smiles down at me reassuringly, his expression softening.