CHAPTER 51: all of my shortcomings

𝓓𝓻𝓪𝓰𝓸𝓷𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓷𝓮Emptiness

𝓓𝓻𝓪𝓰𝓸𝓷𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓷𝓮
Emptiness.

Her home, her heart, her soul.

Rhaenyra had grown used to the feeling in her young years but this? She wouldn't wish the loss of a child on a mother. Visenya was a promise never kept, a wish only made but never fulfilled but her sweet boy Lucerys... the walls held his voice the corridors his memory.

She and Daemon had accepted Aemond into their home, their lives. And their sweet, rebellious daughter had fallen in love with their son's murderer carrying his unborn child within her royal womb and yet, an unsettling voice gnawed at the back of her mind.

Could it all be as it seemed?

In the almost two-week absence of Elaena, her mother had taken to her chambers in an effort to keep her mourning private but on this evening they were to devise a plan.

While Rhaenyra had withdrawn from daily proceedings her husband had buried himself in revenge plots, seeking out any word from the capital of Prince Aemond's arrival or his brother's schemes to further humiliate their daughter.

No, he wouldn't allow it.

The hours had dragged on into the night but still, Rhaenyra sat at the helm of the painted table watching the flames praying to the gods that the sparks would give her a reason for all this heartbreak and disloyalty. 

By the door, Daemon hovers watching over her before he waves off the men on guard, shutting the doors behind them.

That Hightower cunt had cost them Viserys, their baby girl, and now Lucerys. 

'Those snakes will continue to slither through our kingdom, spreading their venom until we cut off their heads.' He'd told her, but Rhaenyra was ridden with self-loathing, her once sure eyes riddled with doubt.

To run and take whom she had left, or to fight for her children who had given their lives for their mother, the Queen?

Clearing his throat Daemon takes a few weary steps toward his mourning wife, "My Queen. There's news from the capital,"

Rhaenyra however doesn't move from her seat, only drumming the table with her fingers slowly, lost.

"Lady Mysaria, she says there's been no sighting of Aemond or Vhagar. But the youngest boy, Daeron, has been seen coming and going on dragonback." With this new information or lack thereof, Daemon hadn't expected much from his wife but her stillness irritated him.

Some handled their mourning with tears, others with stillness but Daemon would handle this grief with intention.

"Rhaenyra-" At her name she snaps her head to lock eyes with her husband, standing from her seat to address him.

She was no fool, Daemon had always wished for war with Alicent and her father and this had given him the perfect excuse, the perfect outlet to reveal his true nature.