Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty- Six

Present day

Sage

'It was a trick question, she's a tequila girl when in a good mood, whiskey if she's sad but if she's mad, she will drink anything her heart sets its sights on.' The familiarity of the tone had all laughter freezing and panic rising inside of me. Please God no, please God don't be so cruel to me, I pleaded a prayer as my eyes found his.

'Blue?' His name fell from my lips so easily before I could even stop it. His brown eyes watching me so carefully, the man that tore my heart apart vein by fucking vein hadn't changed a damn bit.

'It's been a long time, Darlin.' He gave me a gentle smile but even after all these years later the sight still manages to make my knees weak. Just like his cousin and everything else in this bloody town, he hadn't changed a damn bit, same rugged hair and dauntingly beautiful mahogany eyes. I had imagined this moment so many bloody times over the years, the day that I was to finally bump into him again and even all those hours that I had spent the first year wishing and trying so hard to not run back to him, none of it could have prepared me for how I was now feeling. I gulped away the ball in my throat, my chest was tightening, squeezing at the ache this man had left on my heart all those years ago.

'Everything ok Sugar?' Felix asked, glancing between me and Blue, but I couldn't reply to him, my throat was constricted, and my lungs were choking just to grasp onto even a little bit of air.

'Sage?' Blue called my name thawing me out of my frozen state.

'If you want a drink Mickey can serve you.' I managed to get out through the shakiness in my tone.

'Can you take a break? We need to talk.' He ignored my ignorance and I wasn't even going to be ashamed at what was so blatant, I didn't want to face him, I didn't know how to face him, how to stop that ache from seeping back into my chest, the ache that he had left there and the ache that had taken me so long to shield myself from. I glanced at Mickey who eyed me with such sympathy, and it made me feel even worse. Because if other people are so visibly cautious of a reunion between me and Blue then I couldn't even imagine the emotions that I'm sure where portrayed on my face right now.

'We don't have anything to talk about, so if you aren't buying a drink, I think you're in the wrong place.' I gave Blue my full attention.

'I got a letter from your uncle; someone sent me it when he died.' He tried, pleading with me with those obsidian eyes of his. 'He said some stuff, stuff that we need to talk about.'

'There isn't anything we need to talk about, if there was something you need to say then you're three bloody years too late.' I cut him off.

'He asked me to talk to you, I need to talk to you about what the letter says.' He pleaded.

'That's bullshit.' I fired, I didn't want to hear what he had to say, I didn't want to be dragged back into the pain of an old wound re-opening, a wound that Blue Mercer had left scarred into my heart.

'Sage, he said you don't play anymore, you haven't played since you left.'

'So that's why you're here? Mister Big Time left the world of fame because an old man guilt-tripped him?' I cut off his reasonings.

'That's not it and you know it, we need to talk and I'm not leaving until you give me just a little of your time Darlin.' He pleaded, but his pleading was drowned out by that bloody name that he had called me since we were kids.

'Don't call me that.' I snapped, the rise in my tone catching the attention of the customers around us.

'Sage.' He begged, and if he hadn't broken me so badly when we were kids then I would have given him the attention he was pleading with me for.