Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Mickey! Mickey! Mickey!

Sage

'I knew it, I knew there was a reason you kept wanting to go back to that town.' My mom let out, her bright smile shining back at me through the phone.

'He isn't the reason, well at least not entirely.' I defended with a smile of my own.

'So, Blue huh? Is he good to you?' she asked, her attention going to the mirror that she had propped the phone up against as she dabbed her lipstick onto her lips.

'Yeah, he really is.' I couldn't help the smile that lit up my face.

'I'm happy for you honey, he seems like a real nice boy, or should I say man now that he's all grown up.' She said bringing her attention back to her phone as she picked it up, rising from her seat as she rustled around the room, 'I've got to go Baby girl, they're calling me, I'm up in five.'

'OK Mom, go kill it and call me when you can?' I wished her luck, rushing to bid her goodbye before she had to hang up.

'I always do, be safe honey and tell your uncle I said hello.' She waved goodbye, blowing a kiss through the phone before the line cut off. Although our calls had been short lately, they always without a doubt lifted a weight from my shoulders knowing that she was doing ok. She was busy, so undoubtedly busy with this tour, but she looked good and happy. Granted she was rushed off of her feet, but she didn't look tired at all.

'Was that Rose, how is she?' Uncle Wade asked as he stepped out of the house and into the evening light of the porch.

'She is doing good; she looks so happy.' I told him, a smile forming on my lips with my words as the idea of my mom being happy brought the same emotion out in me. She had all but put a hold on her career for me, and the second that I was out of school she was agreeing to every and all job that her manager brought up to her. She was enjoying her life, and it was so good to see considering that she had felt so alone since my dad passed away.

'That's good, I saw a clip of her online at one of her shows.' He said settling into the porch swing beside me.

'You did?' I let out, My mom wasn't a huge artist, people always loved her performances but she never had the time to give them many, but now that she had given all her time to the music industry she was on the rise again. People all around the world now listened to her and it was amazing, that was her dream, and it always has been and I loved that for her.

'One of my regulars showed me last night, your dad would be proud of her, he always encouraged her music to the point that they used to sit right here, like you and that Mercer boy sometimes do.' He gave me a gentle smile, a gleam of something shining back at me in his eyes.

'I didn't know that.' I admitted, imagining my mom and dad sitting right here while my mom played for him brought such warmth to my chest.

'You lot have plans for tonight?' he asked, and I took my attention to the direction he had given a gentle nod of his head in, to see Blue and Mickey heading our way.

'Yup, we do.' I said rising from my seat and stuffing my phone into the back pocket of my jeans as the two boys climbed the porch steps.

'Boys.' My uncle greeted the two.

'Sir.' Both Blue and Mickey returned the gesture.

'You'll bring her back in one piece?' Uncle Wade asked with a raised brow.

'Always.' Mickey gave a quick reply, appeasing my uncle's raised brow as Blue slipped his hand into mine, the action grasping my uncle's attention but he didn't say anything about it, and I was thankful for it because I was yet to tell my uncle about me and Blue and that wasn't exactly a conversation that I wanted to have in front of either of the Mercer boys.