Chapter Four

Chapter Four.

Out of Blue's reach

Sage

The sun had already set, and I couldn't help myself as I pulled myself up and onto the tailgate of Blue's blue Chevrolet. Settling blues guitar onto my lap, The metal surface of each string was cool beneath my fingers as I effortlessly coaxed a soulful melody to echo out around me. that peacefulness that I had felt from this morning was back and this place provided me with that comfort to play, so much so that my eyelids fluttered shut all on their own. The first notes hung in the air as I got lost in the music, a piece that I had been working on for the past two days.

'Well, look who couldn't tame those fingers of hers.' Blue's teasing tone brought me back to my surroundings, a playful smirk tugging at the corners of his lips as he approached, placing himself directly in front of me, the light of the bonfire someone had lit flickered just enough to set a glow around us.

'I figured a little moment with your guitar couldn't hurt the party, Want to join me?' I asked, pulling my bottom lip between my teeth to hide my smile. I couldn't help it because every time he smirks that smirk my way my heart stutters. God, I'm totally, that girl that crushes on her best friend, the best friend that doesn't share those same feelings, and honestly? It's bloody sad.

'If my guitar gets your attention it's only fair that I do too.' Blue chuckled as he took a seat beside me on the tailgate with his usual playful banter. 'What are we playing Darlin?' he asked, nudging his leg to mine.

'I got something in mind, if you can figure it out then you can be my vocals.' I instructed.

'Yes ma'am.' He smiled, a mischievous glint in his eyes. I took my attention to Blue's guitar in hand and began to form the smooth, yet slightly rugged notes to flow from my fingers, creating a melody that was all country yet a song from an entirely different genre of music. Blue chuckled from beside me with recognition and I glanced up with a grin of my own, his amusement shining back at me and sending my heart into a bundle of flutters. God!

'Colt forty-five and two Zig-Zags, baby that's all we need, We can go to the park after dark, smoke that tumbleweed.' He sang with that rich and warm timbre of his toned voice, enticing a soft laugh to fall from my lips. 'Stop and hit the bong like Cheech and Chong

And sell tapes from here to Hong Kong.'

'So, roll, roll, roll my joint, Pick out the seeds and stems. Feeling high as hell

Flyin' through Palmdale, Skatin' on Dayton rims.' I couldn't help myself as I sang the lyrics in sync with his beautifully toned voice, as my fingers pulled the rest of the song's music from the guitar strings, I couldn't help but think of how he did have the most perfect voice for a country song.

'That was good.' I laughed a compliment as my fingers came to a still.

'you're telling me, it's a rarity to hear you sing.' He gave me a half-sided smile.

'Oh it's not a rarity, I'm just selective of who I choose to hear me sing.' I admitted I loved to sing and I was fairly good at it, but my focus was never singing it was always the guitar, and always has been.

'Well then Darlin, I'm flattered to have you sing with me.' he gently nudged his shoulder into mine, the warm look in his eyes such a burning to the unspoken feelings I have for this boy as he playfully and yet so effortlessly bantered with me. The feeling was so intense that I found myself swiftly switching the topic.

'I've got a date tomorrow night.' I blurted, totally not as casually as I had intended the words to come out sounding. To my dismay, my words caused the easy banter between us to falter for a moment, and Blue's expression subtly shifted.