Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Eighth Summer of Blue

Sage

'You don't ever stop playing that darn thing, do you kid?' Uncle Wade let out and I glanced up from my seat on the sofa, the golden rays of the midday sun streamed through the windows causing the living room to become a haven of warmth and tranquillity, a sort of peace that allowed me to indulge in the instrument at hand.

'And you don't ever, not wear a cowboy hat.' I quipped a reply at the sight of him fitting his hat to his head.

'You got me on that one kid.' he chuckled as a gentle knock came to the front door. 'Let me guess that will be one of those Mercer boys.' He smirked, watching me as I quickly rushed to my feet, placing my guitar down softly on the sofa.

'It sure is, they are taking me to the best summer spot, whatever that means.' I informed them as I passed him by to get the front door and sure enough Uncle Wade was one hundred percent right because standing on the other side was a wide smiled Blue.

'You ready Darlin?' he asked glancing behind me to where Uncle Wade was standing. 'Sir.' He tilted his head in greeting towards my uncle before returning his eyes to mine.

'Totally ready, but should I bring my guitar?' I asked, unsure what exactly we were going to be doing or where exactly we were going today.

'I'm sure you can survive a few hours without playing.' He smiled knowingly at me, 'I've got mine in the truck if your fingers start twitching.' He grinned in amusement at his own words.

'ha-ha.' I rolled my eyes before turning to Uncle Wade, 'I'll be back later, be safe I love you.' I bid him a quick goodbye.

'That's my line.' He interjected as he approached us. 'I take it there's alcohol at this summer spot?' he directed his question to Blue.

'Nope, none.' Blue was quick with his answer earning a raised brow from my Uncle.

'You're a bad liar son. I take it I can trust you and Mickey to not drink and drive with my niece in the car?' he asked, yet again directing his question to Blue as if I wasn't there.

'She will always be safe with me Sir.' Blue said with certainty.

'Well then, that's all I needed to hear. Go, Have fun kids.'

'Yes sir.' Blue agreed, and with that Blue tugged me by my hand as he pulled us down the porch steps and towards his truck where Mickey was busy piling things into the truck bed.

'Doll.' Mickey greeted me, tugging me from Blue's hand and wrapping me up in his warm arms.

'I wish you'd stop calling her that.' Blue as usual muttered his dislike of the nickname his cousin had given me many years ago.

'As long as our green-eyed Doll loves it, I'll never stop.' Mickey retorted as he released me from his hold.

'So, what's with all the stuff?' I asked motioning towards the truck bed where multiple coolers, blankets, and what looked to be a bunch of camping gear lay.

'That Darlin, is the necessities for today's antics.' Blue answered as he opened the door and motioned for me to climb in and so I did, sliding into the seat beside his guitar and pulling my seatbelt on before watching patiently as Blue climbed into the driver's seat while Mickey placed himself in the passenger seat beside him. The drive to our destination was roughly twenty minutes and I watched in excitement as Blue pulled up and onto the pebbled riverside. The Stoney riverside was alive with the vibrant pulse of a gathering. Cars and trucks lined the riverbank, their haphazard parking creating an impromptu perimeter for the active party at hand.