Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Loving her from afar

Sage

'Honey don't forget to take that pie from the oven in five.' Marlene said from the doorway of the kitchen as she slipped her arms into her jacket.

'Don't worry I've got it.' I reassured her as my phone began to ring and like an absolute love-struck puppy, I dropped the dishcloth in my hands with speed and rushed across to the breakfast bar in order to answer the video call.

'Hi Beautiful.' Blue's handsome face greeted me through the phone.

'Hi.' The words fell from my lips softly, I couldn't bite back the smile from cheesing at my cheeks. He had missed three days of calls this week. Three out of seven bloody days of not hearing a word from him, but I'm not mad because I adored that he was so invested in his future, and it wasn't like it was three days in a row it was almost spaced out but whatever, it was what it was.

'You're in my kitchen again aren't you?' He chuckled; God I missed seeing that smile in person.

'Hey sweety, I've got to get to work so call me tomorrow if you get the chance.' Marlene yelled from her spot on the other side of the kitchen, 'Sage honey don't forget the pie.' She gave me another reminder before rushing out of the kitchen and by the sound of the front door opening and closing, she had now left for work.

'I'm jealous of my Mama.' Blue brought my attention back to him.

'Jealous of your own Mother how?' I questioned with a laugh.

'She gets to hang out with you and all I get is these phone calls.' He smiled at me through the screen.

'We can manage two more weeks.' I gave him a knowing smile, I understood him because I felt the exact same way.

'That we can.' He retorted. He looked all rugged and disheveled and I can't lie it made him look if possible even hotter, but it was obvious he was exhausted.

'You look tired.' I told him my thoughts; it was a little concerning, but I know Blue can handle a little overtime.

'I've been in the studio since seven this morning and I should be getting ready right now because Daniel wants me to make an appearance at some party, something about promotional purposes.' He sighed pulling himself up from his seat on a sofa.

'I'm proud of you, you're working hard.' I praised, 'Are you enjoying it? like are you happy?' I asked, he had gone from working a typical nine-to-five workload to a schedule that had no limits.

'Darlin, I fucking love what I'm doing.' He grinned, and I could tell just by the tone of his voice and the look in his eyes he was telling the truth.

'Good because I'm so happy for you Blue, I know I tell you that on like every phone call we have had since you left but I really am, a proud and happy girlfriend.' I told him honestly.

'You are huh?' He smirked.

'I am.' I paused, my nose twitching at the stuffy smell that hit me before realisation pinpointed the smell. 'Shit the pie.' I let out, all but throwing Blue down on top of the counter and fumbling to the oven only to see that I had ruined Marlene's apple crumble pie. 'Oh shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.' I cussed, turning the oven off and fumbling for an oven mitt.

'Darlin?' Blue called as I pulled the pie from the oven placing it onto the cooling rack on top of the stove with absolute horror and defeat settling into the pit of my stomach. 'Sage.' He called again with a tone laced with concern. I swallowed the thick lump in my throat, I don't know why but I wanted to scream, I wanted to bloody cry. Marlene was going to be so upset, she had worked so hard on this pie that she spent absolutely hours making it. 'Sage I'm freaking out here.' Blue's voice cut through my whirlwind of sudden emotions, and I reached for the phone on the counter bringing the camera back to face me. 'What just happened are you alright?' He asked, a worry crease between his brows.