Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

All the firsts of a first date

Sage

In the soft glow of my bedroom, the anticipation of tonight's activities was all but wracking my brain. Tonight was the night – my first ever real date and it was going to be with Blue Mercer. The flutter of excitement that swirled in my chest as I stood before the mirror was my body's way of dealing with the new emotions that came with dating Blue. We had already sat and eaten dinner with his mom so I wasn't sure what his plans were for tonight, if he had planned to take me to eat then I don't think my full stomach could handle anything big if he was to still have such plans. I studied my reflection, Violet was right, the dress complemented my hair and my eyes so well that it made me feel just as beautiful as the dress itself. As I ran my fingers through the loose curls I had given to my hair, I felt good about myself and what tonight could mean for Blue's and my budding relationship.

'Perfect.' I complimented my reflection in the mirror, a mix of nerves and excitement evident in my eyes. I took a deep breath, steadying the nervous flutter in my stomach. My hands trembled slightly as I reached for Blue's brown leather jacket and I hooked it over my arm. 'Get it together Sage.' I all but scolded myself as the doorbell chimed, a sound that sent a ripple of excitement throughout me. I stole a final glance at myself in the mirror, a hopeful smile playing on my lips. As I walked towards the door, each step resonated with the rhythm of my heartbeat as its pace picked up. Opening the door, I was met with Blue's warm smile, and suddenly, the nerves melted away.

'Well, shit!' The words fell from his lips as his eyes glanced from my head to my toes as he all but drank me in.

'Too much?' I asked as a blush crept the length of my neck and flushed my cheeks.

'Fuck no, you look beautiful.' He grinned, reaching out to take my hand in his as I allowed him to tug me over the threshold. He dipped his head, his lips placing a kiss on my cheek before he pulled back. 'You ready for tonight?' he asked.

'I am, are you?' I retorted the question back to him as I closed the front door and locked it, turning to put the key under the pot beside the door.

'Darlin, I've been ready.' he chuckled, and I took this moment to take in his appearance, he was no longer wearing those dirty work clothes as he stood before me in fresh jeans and a black t-shirt, lord have mercy on me because this Mercer boy was so handsome.

'You look handsome.' I spoke my thoughts out loud, enticing a smirk to tug one corner of his mouth.

'After nine years you're only now telling me?' he teased.

'Yeah, well you had me stuck in the friend zone so I couldn't go around speaking my thoughts now, could I?' I bit my lip to halt the smirk that wanted to form against my lips at the playful banter.

'I don't know Darlin, I'm pretty sure you had me stuck in the friendzone not the other way around?' he chuckled.

'If you say so cowboy.' I retorted, turning as we hopped down the steps, Blue hooking his hand into mine as he guided me over to his driveway where his truck lay parked and as we rounded the truck to the passenger side I caught a glimpse of Marlene peeking through the curtain.

'Your Mom is watching us.' I let out a low laugh.

'I'm aware Darlin.' He chuckled as he opened the door for me, I placed his jacket on the seat as I slid into the truck and as usual Blue reminded me to put my seatbelt on.

'So, are you going to tell me what we are doing?' I asked as he climbed into his seat.

'Nope.' His answer was swift as he started up the engine and began to back out of his driveway.