Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Fuelled by alcohol.

Sage

In the dimly lit parking lot, the night air was thick with the scent of alcohol and distant music as Blue and I made our way toward the building. Laughter and the faint bass of the music echoed from within the walls we would shortly be inside of. I could feel Blue's hand securely holding mine as we navigated through the parked cars when a group of rowdy guys, who moments ago had been carefree on the dance floor, appeared in our path. They shot us piercing glances, their expressions clouded with God knows what. It didn't take a detective to figure out that they had consumed a lot of alcohol, way more than what I had, and I had consumed quite a bit now that I was feeling tipsy. As we approached to pass by them, the tension in the air became palpable, thick, and dull. One of the guys, I couldn't recall his name, but he was the one who I had left not long ago in the middle of a song, his jaw was tight, clenched and he stepped forward, blocking our way causing Blue to tense beside me, his hand tightening onto mine in reflex.

'Excuse me.' I let out, tugging Blue by his hand as I attempted to pass the guy. My attempt was futile as the rugged guy only stepped into my line, cutting me off from my attempted leave.

'You ditched me in their honey.' The man all but sneered, eyeing Blue with hostility. Blue tightened his grip on my hand, tugging me closer to his side, all but shielding me from the man, his protective instinct kicking in.

'Well Mate, my girls giving me the next dance.' Blue said calmly, trying to defuse the situation. The guy chuckled, the others coming in behind, creating an intimidating semi-circle and my stomach churned.

'She's been dancing with me all night; I think I should have the next dance.' The man retorted, his eyes burning into Blue's and my god was the sense of trouble tasted in the air.

'We're not looking for any trouble.' I spoke my mind softly, hoping to stop whatever this was right now.

'You think you can just waltz in here and snatch her away?' The man all but spat, he wasn't having any of the attempts I or Blue had made to get past him and his friends. The lead guy, the one I had left on the dance floor to chase after Blue was clearly fuelled by liquid courage and he took a step closer to Blue. Before I could say anything, the situation escalated. The guy, blinded by his obvious jealousy of Blue, threw the first punch, hitting Blue directly in his jaw, causing Blue's firm hold on my hand to drop.

'Stop, what the hell!' I screamed a scolding, panic rising out of control as Blue swung back, his knuckles hitting the man in his cheek. 'Blue.' I yelled, fear gripping me as I attempted to pull Blue back, away from the other guys who had all but dragged him off of the man who had started all of this. 'Get your hands off of him.' I defiantly screamed at them, only to be tugged away as strong arms circled my waist tugging me back into a solid chest.

'Easy sweet one.' The voice of the man I'd danced with sent a shiver down my spine, the sickly need to vomit right now was torturous as I fought against his hold.

'Get your fucking hands off of her.' Blue rejected, a dark tone in his voice, one I'd never heard from him before, his defiance earning a round of chuckles as one of the men sent a harsh fist to Blue's stomach. Then he sent another and another, Blue could do nothing but take the hits as they held his arms back. It took everything for me to not break and cry at the sight as I struggled in the man's hold, all my attempts futile as I tried to get to Blue.

'Stop, please stop.' I begged, my lips quivering and the nausea wanting to make a break from my stomach.

'Ease up lads.' The man ordered, his breath fanning against my ear, and to my relief, they listened to the order, like little pets doing as told.