Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Blue and his secret

Sage

The truck rolled to a stop on Blue's driveway, sudden silence a near echo as Blue turned the engine off, the radio following suit. 'Blue, what the hell was that back there.' I fired with my disbelief that he would be so stupid as to make attempt after attempt at pissing off a police officer.

'I'm going to go and leave you two to talk.' Mickey cut in, but I couldn't even bring myself to acknowledge that he had even spoken, my eyes completely glued to Blue as he rested his forehead on the steering wheel. Mickey leaned over the back seat, patting Blues shoulder before making his leave, 'Take it easy on him Doll.' he whispered before closing the door and leaving silence to cover the space between me and Blue.

'What were you trying to do back there, get yourself arrested?' I asked in utter disbelief that not only would he piss off a cop, but he nearly had me shutting down with the shot to my anxiety-riddled nerves.

'It ain't that big of a deal Darlin.' Blue muttered, raising his head from the steering wheel to give me his eyes. Not a big deal? Was he actually kidding me, I was absolutely freaking out back there and he was just treating the entire thing like a game he had played a bunch of times before.

'What was it you said? Don't sweat it, just follow my lead. Well thanks for the lead, jackass.' I fired as I took my seatbelt off to take my leave. Even though it may not have been a big deal to him, it sure as hell was for me.

'Sage!' He called, stopping my retreat with a hand to my arm, 'I admit it.' he began as I turned back to give him my attention, 'That was a shitty thing for me to do, that wasn't my intentions but you can't expect me to not stand up for you when he's pushing his weight around and shining the fucking torch in your eyes.'

'Don't do that Blue, don't put this on me because you know full well that I would prefer you to stay quiet than get yourself into trouble.' I denied the responsibility of being the reason behind his stupidity. If he thought that I'd be ok with him risking himself to as he had put it defend me, then he really didn't know me as well as he had claimed that he does.

'You might not like it Sage but I'm letting you know right now that I'm going to defend you every damn time, in any scenario.' he said in all seriousness as he pulled my hand into his, his soft touch so gentle compared to the rough tone of his words.

'Your impossible.' I let out a heavy sigh, feeling exhausted after the pull and push of tonight's shots of adrenaline. 'You're lucky the officer didn't cuff you just to teach you a lesson.' I added.

'He wouldn't have.' He denied it with certainty.

'You don't know that.' I shook my head at his ignorance of the trouble that we could have gotten into back there.

'I do, he's an asshole that has arrested me for multiple things, cussing him out has never been one of them.' He admitted and I frowned, thinking back to the comment the officer had made about the pair hibernating for the summer.

'You guys get into trouble a lot when I'm not here don't you?' I asked, I mean I kind of figured with the way that Uncle Wade calls them the menacing Mercers, but I thought that was more to do with how mischievous they were when growing up, or how brooding they are with not all but most people.

'A little.' He smirked, the first resemblance I've seen of my Blue since we walked out of the broken church.

'What's the deal with you and the officer? because it seemed to me like you disliked him way more than Mickey does.' I asked with a genuine need to know, he was so tense like he had just frozen up and stewed in the hate he seemed to have for the man.