Chapter One

Chapter One

First summer of Blue

Sage Climbed out of the car, A soft thud to the ground beneath her feet as her emerald-green eyes looked up at the grey sky above, mesmerized by the orange shimmers peeking through the small gaps between each cloud. She frowned, her Mom had promised her that the weather would be nice out here, but the sky was darkening, she thought that it looked almost angry.

'Honey, won't you run in and ask Uncle Wade for a handing help with the bags?' her mom called as she circled herself around the car.

'I thought you said it would be sunny at Grandma's?' young Sage asked as her eyes darted around, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings. She hadn't been here before, or at least not a time that she could remember.

'Don't you worry about the sky, Texans' skies are known for their temper tantrums, now hurry those little legs of yours inside and get your Uncle Wade.' Her Mom ushered her with a wave.

Sage huffed at her mom's words, her use of the word temper tantrum reminding her of when she was younger. I'm ten not five is what she wanted to remind her mother but instead she kept silent, doing as she was told as she made her way across the lawn.

'Grandma Sally?' Sage called as she reached the porch steps. 'Uncle Wade?' she called out for them as she took one white porch step at a time and just as she reached the last white step her attention was drawn to the front door as her Uncle Wade pulled it open with a wide smile.

'Now did I just hear a chipmunk call my name?' Wade grinned down at her.

'I'm not a chipmunk.' Sage all but sulked at the nickname that her uncle had been giving her since as far back as she could remember. 'Mom needs your help.' Sage waved a hand in her mom's direction.

'Oh my, aren't you getting big, get over here and give Gram-mama a squeeze.' Her Grandma Sally appeared at her Uncle's side, Sage couldn't contain her excitement as she watched her Grandmas smile and arms spread wide, with full speed she ran straight into her Grandma's arms, the bear hug she received from her Grandma had flooded her with the familiar scent of sweet tea and lemon, the smell that could only be associated with her Grandma Sally.

'I missed you, honey.' Sally whispered into the top of young Sages' head.

'Missed you too Grandma.' Sage returned the sentiment.

'I get you for the entire summer, oh I could just die.' Sally cupped Sage's cheek with the palm of her hand. 'Oh, Rose she is just made in your image.' Sally turned to greet Sage's Mother.

'It is so good to see you.' Rose said into the old lady's hair as Sally wrapped her up in her arms.

'I know you said it was a quick drop off, but won't you stay for a little while? We have an entire year's worth to catch up on.' Sally asked Rose as she pulled back to take a look at the young Mom.

'I wish that I could but I'm already running late, I'm supposed to be on a stage in Colorado in a little over fourteen hours.' Rose replied, 'Are you ok with everything from here?' she added.

'Oh, honey I've got this, go, go give 'em a show.' Sally beamed over at Rose so proudly.

'You're an angel.' Rose placed a kiss on Sally's cheek before turning to face Sage. 'And you, my beautiful little daughter, be good for your Grandma and your Uncle Wade.' She warned and young Sage gave her response in the form of a small nod of her head. 'I'll call you every night and we can play a song together.' Rose pulled her daughter into her embrace, her hold tight and comforting to the turmoil that came to Sage at the idea of her mother leaving. 'Alright, I love you.' Rose pulled back, with a gentle kiss on Sages' forehead. Rose was quick to reach her car as Sage watched on with sadness clouding in her chest and eyes and with two swift seconds Rose was gone, leaving Sage with an ache in the pit of her stomach.