Prologue Two

Prologue Two

Sage

'I think that's the last of it.' Violet dusted her hands off on her jeans.

'I think it is, I couldn't have done it without you.' I smiled taking in the now overflowing garage. The entire three hundred and twenty square foot garage was now home to all my Uncle's belongings, his clothes, his shoes, everything all boxed up.

'Don't be silly Doll, it's been good spending time with you again.' She said with a wave of her hand as if to shew the thanks from the air between us and I couldn't stop the nostalgic feeling at the pet name she had used for me that she had picked up from Mickey's habits. 'I still can't get over how many cowboy hats that man owned.' She laughed.

'Right? I swear there was one for every day of the month.' I agreed as we made our way out of the garage and into the front yard.

'He sure did.' she chuckled. 'So, when is that man, you know that mystery man of yours getting into town?' she asked, tucking a loose strand of her hair into the bun on top of her head.

'You know his name is Brett.' I gave her a knowing raise of my brow; she had known his name since the first date Brett had taken me on, but she insisted on refusing to call him anything other than that man. I let out a sigh preparing to rip off the band-aid, 'He isn't coming, we broke up.' I told her, I hadn't gotten around to telling her that I was no longer dating him because honestly, I didn't want the questions I know where to follow, and if I was to get into that conversation I would need a hard whiskey to drown with and not to mention that she would tell Mickey everything that I tell her and that was something I didn't want.

'Hmm, Wade said that he was rough around the edges so I knew that was coming, maybe a good thing too because the Texans would have chewed him up and spat him right back out.' she grinned. My Uncle had told her he was rough around the edges? What exactly had my Uncle told her? anxiety reeled through me at just the thought of Violet knowing what Brett had done but if she knew then so did Mickey and if Mickey knew I'm certain that he would have mentioned it last night and I didn't want that conversation with anyone, not now and certainly not later. 'I'm sorry Doll, breakups are hard even if you date a fool.'

'You ain't sorry for nothin.' I laughed knowing damn well that she hated Brett simply because he wasn't Blue.

'Yeah, you're right.' She smirked and I groaned, 'My bad, Shoot what happened?' She feigned shock and I shook my head at her antics.

'Can we just not talk about him.' I begged, I really didn't want to relive that mess when I was already having to relive the mess of being back here, being in this town, and reliving the memories of another love, my first love.

'Alright, I ain't say nothin.' She drawled so southern-like. 'So, you hungry? Mama Mercer is making supper.' She made a quick change of the conversation as she began making her way across the lawn towards the house next door. Mama Mercer means Blue's Mom, got it.

'I wish that I could, but I need to head over to the bar for a few hours there's a lot to do over there.' I declined the offer with a lie and a glance over at Marlene Mercer's home.

'You know she thinks you're avoiding her.' Violet gave me a soft smile.

'I'm not, it's just hard to be back. You know?' I admitted.

'I know, she knows it too.' She placed a reassuring hand on my wrist. 'How about I tell her you said hello.' She added before backing away with her leave.

'Thank you.' I called after her.

'It ain't nothin Doll.' With her back turned to me she waved a hand in the air, yet again shewing my thankful words away. 'Put a jacket on, it's supposed to rain soon.' She threw over her shoulder.