Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Second summer of Blue

Sage

'That a girl.' Grandma praised from her seat across the table as I tipped the bowl, pouring Grandma's famous cake mixture into the lined cake tin, the mixture slightly spilling over the edge and onto the tablecloth.

'Shoot.' I cussed at my clumsiness.

'That doesn't matter honey.' Grandma dismissed the accident, rising from her seat to grab a wet cloth before returning to my side to wipe clean the table with shaky hands.

'Are you okay Grandma?' I asked with concern.

'Oh, I'm fine sweety, just feeling a little under the weather.' She gave me a reassuring smile. 'Is it ready?' she asked, and I nodded a reply with a tilt of my head. 'Perfect.' She complimented as light knocks sounded against the front door. 'Go see who that is, I've got a feeling it's those menacing Mercers that have been pestering me with questions of your return all week.' She laughed as she carefully took the cake into her hands. I beamed at her words, wiping the splashes of batter from my fingers onto my jeans as I rushed to open the front door, and just like Grandma had suspected on the other side of the door stood a smiling Mickey and Blue.

'Your back.' Blue exclaimed with a grin.

'Told you it was her mama's car.' Mickey interjected, pleased with himself.

'My mama is taking us to get ice cream, do you want to come?' Blue asked, shooting excitement to run through me with the suggestion.

'I love ice cream.' I stated, pulling a laugh from both boys. The sound of clashing tins turned my attention towards the kitchen at the sudden bang. 'I should ask my grandma first.' I let out, if I were to go then I wouldn't be able to help Grandma clean up our mess.

'Grandma?' I spun on my heels as I called out to her, rounding the kitchen door to see the sight of my grandma lying on the floor pulled a screech from my lungs. 'Oh my god Grandma Sally.' I yelled rushing to her side. My scream was a cause for concern as Blue and Mickey rushed in after me, fear in their eyes as they caught sight of my grandma unmoving against the kitchen tiles.

'I'll get my Mama.' Blue fired out quickly before disappearing.

'Grandma?' I shook her arm gently trying to wake her through my tear-filled eyes. My heart was pounding in my chest with panic and uncertainty. Why wasn't she waking up? Why wasn't she answering me?

'Mama is coming.' Blue rushed back into the room, his chest heaving after the run.

'Sumbitch,' Marlene cussed rushing to my side as she lifted my grandma's head into her hands, 'Sally, honey can you hear me?' she tried to coax my grandma to wake, the futile effort causing a sob to break from my lips. 'Boys.' Marlene's yell caught the two boy's eyes that were glued to the floor where my grandma lay. 'Take Sage into the other room.' She fired digging her hand into her pocket as she pulled out her phone. I shook my head, I didn't want to leave, I needed to stay with Grandma until I knew that she was ok. 'Sage, it's going to be okay honey. Go wait it out in the other room.' She instructed with such concern in her eyes. A gentle tug on my elbow took my attention from Marlene to her son as Blue helped me to my feet, wrapping an arm around my shoulder he guided me after Mickey and into the living room where I could do nothing but sit on the sofa and cry for what felt like forever before the paramedics arrived followed by Uncle Wade, I shot up from my seat about to follow them when Blue stopped me.

'It's going to be ok Sage.' He reassured, 'Right Mickey?' he fired over his shoulder to his cousin.

'Yeah,' Mickey's reply was short, but he held my gaze with certainty as Blue pulled me to sit back down on the sofa. minutes of silence fell over us before Uncle Wade rushed in, a frantic look in his eyes as he found us. I sprung to my feet, running to him as I wrapped my arms around his tall frame.