Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

A night to remember.

Sage

The engine's gentle hum reverberated through the car as we pulled into the crowded parking lot of Midnight Barrel. The neon sign casts a soft glow over the sleek vehicles and bustling patrons. Violet and I were nestled in the backseat, the anticipation of the night ahead bubbling between us as Violet wielded a compact mirror and a palette of makeup, expertly touching up my face as I stole glances at the neon lights illuminating the night. The scent of Violet's perfume mixed with the distant notes of live music seeping through the car windows created an atmosphere of excitement and rebellion.

'Sage, you're going to turn heads tonight.' Violet teased, her fingers working with precision. She was the artist, and I was her canvas. I shot her a smirk, feeling the rush of adrenaline as the car came to a smooth stop. The front seats creaked as Blue and Mickey both climbed out, the chilly night air swirling into the car. Blue, with his rugged charm, flashed us a grin as he rounded the car to open my door.

'You're certainly turning my head, with or without the make-up your beautiful' he smirked, his eyes meeting mine, and the blush that burned my cheeks was ferocious.

'Are you sure we are going to get in?' I asked, turning the conversation away from me and directing it to my anxiety because my heart was pounding in sync with the distant thump of the music. We were underage, but the thrill of sneaking into the bar heightened the anticipation. Blue, with his easy confidence, knew the owner and had arranged for us to slip past the bouncer without a hitch.

'Darlin, don't sweat it.' He held his hand out for me and with a light tug I emerged from the truck, the neon lights reflecting off the sleek surface. I smoothed my summer dress out before Blue slipped his hand into mine as we crossed the parking lot, Mickey and Violet following close behind as the bouncer gave us a sceptical look, but one word from Blue and we were in, the pulsating rhythm of the music enveloping us, the bar had such a country feel to it, it was amazing. The dimly lit interior revealed a cozy yet vibrant scene where patrons chatted, the clinking of glasses from behind the bar, and the low hum of conversations came from every direction as Blue guided us to a table near the stage, where an un-familiar face strummed a guitar with skill. Mickey and Blue mirrored one another as they pulled out Violet and I's chairs for us and we gracefully took the offered seats as a grizzled man with a warm smile approached us.

'Blue, These your friends?' He asked, a knowing twinkle in his eyes.

'You already know Mickey, that's his girl and this,' He grinned my way, 'This green-eyed beauty is mine.' Blue finished, his eyes heated as he eyed me, and God, he was crippling me to a puddle on the floor. 'This is Bill, he owns Midnight.' He finished the introductions with a charm that washed any suspicion and anxiety of mine away. Violet and I exchanged glances, and the thrill of our rebellion was intensifying, I don't think I've ever stepped out of my comfort zone like this before, but it was a thrill that I'd definitely want to seek out again.

'Well, you boys better get these ladies a drink, first ones on me.' Bill sent a gentle smile to the table, 'Blue you're on stage in twenty.' He said as he bid his goodbye.

'Wait you're playing?' I asked Blue, this was the first time I'd heard of it.

'Sure am Darlin, I'm going to have a smoke, and grab Melody. They definitely won't serve you two.' He glanced between me and Violet with a light chuckle, 'Give Mickey your orders and he will get it.' he leaned in, placing a sweet kiss on my cheek before sauntering off.

'What just happened?' I turned to Mickey, fully baffled at how the night was turning out so smoothly.

'Our men let us sit with anxiety for absolutely nothing is what just happened.' Violet laughed; her eyes zoned on a grinning Mickey.