Joe Panik (SF Giants)

Joe & Maddie

"Are you ready to go see daddy play?" I asked my three year old daughter as I slid the Panik jersey over her little shoulders.

She nodded vigorously and bounced up and down. Picking her up, I grabbed my purse and keys and was out the door.

When we got to the game, we sat in our usual seats and waited for the game to start. During warm ups, Joe caught my eye and started waving. I turned towards my daughter only to find her distracted Lou Seal, the mascot.

"Landri, daddy's waving at you," I whispered into her hair.

She turned quickly and waved back, almost falling out of her seat. After a quick laugh, Joe turned back to the field and started warming up seriously.

The game went without a problem until the sixth inning. Joe was sliding to third base when the third baseman overcorrected and stepped on Joe's hand. The cry of pain was easily heard where Landri and I were sitting, and we witnessed the whole thing.

"Daddy?" She whispered.

"He's okay, baby. Daddy's gonna be fine," I responded, pulling her into my lap and bouncing her up and down.

"Daddy is crying," she stated. I could feel her heart rate going up and her breathing get faster. Soon, tears were streaming down her chubby face as she watched her dad being helped off of the field with a look of total agony.

I stood up with her on my hip and ran towards the locker room as fast as I could.

When we got in, a trainer was examining Joe's hand. Joe noticed us and tried to smile, but winced as the trainer turned his hand over.

"Definite fracture in the knuckles. We're gonna get you over to the hospital to get a full report," the trainer said.

"Hey baby," Joe smiled at Landri as he waited for the trainer to come back.

She burried her face in my shoulder.

"Oh don't be like that, Lan," he said as he walked towards us and poked her sides.

She turned around, giggling. He grabbed her with his normal arm and kissed her all over her face.

"Are you okay, daddy?" She asked, obviously concerned for her father's wellbeing.

"Yes, daddy is perfectly fine. We're all gonna take a trip to the hospital, and they're gonna take care of me. It's gonna be so fun," he smiled.

She giggled again and slid out of his grip, getting on the ground and walking over to his locker to check it out.

"And how are you, my sweet wife?" He asked as he walked over to me and gave me a quick but meaningful kiss.

"Worried about my stubborn husband," I smirked.

"C'mon, Maddie. You know I'll be fine."

"Your hand is broken, Joe! Do you expect me to be cool about this?" I whined.

He kissed me again.

"Kisses don't shut me up like they do for your daughter," I laughed.

Before he could respond, the trainer walked in with keys.

Landri was by our sides in no time, holding her little hands in the air. With my free hand and Joe's unbroken hand, we took hers and walked out of the locker room.