Eric Hosmer (KC Royals)

Eric & Mackenzie

Going to a game alone was never fun, but this game was different. This game was game seven of the World Series, Royals versus Giants, and I would not miss my team do their thing.

I was on edge the entire game. Screaming at the umpires, screaming at my team, hell, I even got screamed at a couple of times. But I didn't care, because my team was crumbling right in front of my face and I couldn't do a thing about it.

It was the bottom of the ninth inning with two outs, Giants up by one, and Alex Gordon was about to bat. I took a massive swig from the beer that I was gripping tightly in my right hand, and prayed for a miracle.

Gordon hit the ball and it flew out to center field. I was on my feet cheering at the top of my lungs as the Giants outfielders struggled to get a grip on the ball. Gordon made it to third base before the ball made its way back to infield, and the entire crowd was hyped up. We were going to win this. We had to.

Then Salvador Perez was at the plate, swinging a couple practice swings and staring down Madison Bumgarner, the Giants pitcher. The thing was, Bumgarner didn't seem intimidated, which made me nervous.

Madison threw the ball and Perez hit it, only for it to pop into the air and go into foul territory. Pablo Sandoval got under it and caught it. The game was over. My team lost.

All of the Royals fans around me stood still, at a loss for words. I didn't want to cry, I really didn't, but that did not stop the tears from coming anyway.

"Fuck!" I yelled as I ran up the stairs and into a bathroom.

I sat in an empty stall and cried for what seemed like an eternity. A few people stopped in to check, but soon the bathroom grew quiet, and I knew it was time to leave.

I got up and walked down the long hallway towards the parking lot, only to hear a very angry voice. There were things slamming and more shouting, until a tomato-faced Eric Hosmer emerged. He didn't notice me until he nearly knocked me over, only stopping to steady me.

"Nice jersey," he said sarcastically, obviously disappointed in his team.

"I like them."

"That makes one of us," he huffed.

"You should too. This team has nothing to be ashamed of. They fought until the absolute end. This team, its fans, and especially its players should be proud."

He couldn't help it. He cracked a smile. "What's your name, girl?"

"Mackenzie."

"Well Mackenzie, I'm Eric, and I'd love to get a drink with you."