Bryce Harper (Washington Nationals)

Bryce & Giulia

My brother Zach, a skilled baseball player, was drafted to the Washington Nationals. Although he wasn't yet eligible to play games, he was still invited to practice with the team. Being the great sister I was, I opted out of class for a day so I could see how this team worked. Little did he know, I just wanted to see my favorite player, Bryce Harper.

"Are you sure you wanna come, Giulia? When have you ever liked baseball?"

Zach was pulling his knee high socks on in our parents' living room.

"I want to support you. If this is what you're gonna be doing as a career, shouldn't I check it out now?" I responded, trying to hide my smirk. There was no way he was buying my story. I was wrong.

"Fine, but you stay where I can see you."

...

I was the only one in the stands. I found it weird at first, then I remembered it was ten in the morning on a Tuesday.

"Giulia, come over here!" Zach was standing on home base with Bryce Harper beside him.

Trying to contain my excitement, I jogged down the stairs and slid through the opening of the gate, meeting the them at the bottom.

"Harper, this is my sister Giulia. She's a big fan."

I shot Zach daggers but thrusted my hand out in front of me and let Bryce shake it.

"Nice to meet you, Giulia. Your brother is one hell of a player," he smiled at me.

"He learned it from me," I joked, punching Zach lightly in the shoulder.

Before he could respond, a whistle was blown and the coach was ready to get started.

"See ya, Giul," Zach called as he ran away.

"Maybe we could hang out today? If that's okay with you and Zach, of course," he said.

My smile was too big to even say anything. Instead I just nodded, giving him the answer he wanted. With that he winked and ran towards the team. I turned on my heel and walked towards the gate, happier than ever. Maybe having a brother wasn't so bad after all.