Eric Hosmer (KC Royals)

Eric & Marie

I took one last look in the mirror before heading to the front door to let Eric in. It was our third date since we met at a party after a big game, and I was extremely nervous.

I was wearing a black dress that came to about mid thigh and dipped low, showing off most of my back. I slid on a pair of suede blue pumps and was ready to go.

When I opened the front door, Eric was in a fitted blue tux, the same color as my shoes. He started laughing and it took him a minute to calm down.

"I'm sorry Marie. You look great, and I can't believe how coordinated we are!"

I laughed and shook my head, looping my arm through his and pulling him out the door.

When we got to the restaurant, we were immediately seated. After ordering quickly, we had a moment or two to chat. It was deeper than small talk, since we had our first two dates a weeks ago and we knew the basics.

After eating, soft jazz came from the band at the other end of the restaurant. Eric thrusted his hand towards me and I grabbed his hand, taking the hint.

He walked me over to the empty floor and put his arm around my waist and kept his right hand on my left. I wrapped my free arm around his shoulder and swayed with him to the beat. Before we knew it, there were more couples on the dance floor and we were being bounced around between them.

Eric grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the commotion, throwing cash on our dinner table and walking out into the surprisingly cool air.

"Besides the people with no sense of personal space, I enjoyed tonight," I said as we walked down the beautifully lit sidewalk.

"I did too, Marie. Can I ask you something?"

I paused and waited for him to speak.

"I don't know if it's too soon for you, but if it's not, would you be my girlfriend?" He asked, looking hopefully into my eyes.

"I'd really like that, Eric."

He leaned down and gave me the first kiss of many to come.