Joe Panik (SF Giants)

Joe & Moira

Three days after I had my son Jackson, I was more stressed out than I thought I could ever be. Joe was on a road trip when I had him, so I was alone until he got home.

I was asleep on the couch when Jackson started crying. Thankfully, Joe walked in the door as soon as he started. I heard his bags drop and heavy footsteps run to the other side of the living room where Jackson was whining in his crib.

"Oh no, no, no. Daddy's got you now," he cooed as Jackson stopped crying.

I slightly opened my eyes only to see Joe sitting in his La-Z-Boy with Jackson in his arms.

"You're such a loud baby. Can't you see mommy's over there sleeping? You don't wanna wake her. You won't like her when she's angry."

I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing.

"Oh man, look at your hair. You're gonna look just like your old man when you grow up," Joe whispered.

Jackson started making happy gurgles which made Joe giggle.

"I'm sorry for not being here when you got home, little guy. I play baseball, it's pretty fun. You're gonna play when you get older. Only if you want to, of course. You can play soccer if you want. Maybe even football. Hockey too! Although that's not too popular here."

I sounded like he was talking to a kid who was coherent and could understand what he was saying, which made it that much cuter.

Jackson started whining again.

"I'm sorry, bud. No hockey then. Daddy will never make you play hockey."

I couldn't help it. That made me laugh, startling Joe and Jackson.

"Hey Moira. How's momma feeling?" He asked, half talking to me, half talking to Jackson.

"He's a handful, I'll tell you that much," I smiled.

Joe got up and walked over to where I was sitting and plopped down beside me.

"He's gorgeous," Joe said as he looked at the little boy in his hands.

"And he's all ours," I smiled.

Joe leaned over and kissed the side of my head and went back to talking to Jackson. Life was good.