Chapter 49 Monarch and ministers

Start from the beginning

Fortunately, the Crown Prince is mature and has been very talented since he was a child. There is no need for her to worry. Over the years, although the Emperor valued Gu Ming and loved Gu You and Gu Xian, he never treated the Crown Prince badly. He was given all the honour that a Crown Prince should have, which made her feel at ease a lot.

But she never expected that someone would blatantly try to kill the Crown Prince. Who could that person be? After thinking about it, it was most likely Concubine Lan and her son! That bitch Lan Xin is the most vicious-hearted and is capable of doing anything.

Imperial Concubine Li had a miscarriage back then and it is unlikely that she didn't have a share of the credit.

Empress Mu gnashed her teeth with hatred, wishing to rip out the heart and lungs of that evil-hearted woman in order to relieve her hatred.

No matter how much she hated her, in front of the palace people, she was still the gentle and dignified Empress. She personally prepared medicinal meals that replenished blood and energy and sent them to the East Palace for the Crown Prince. Nowadays, she could not trust the food that passed through the hands of others.

"Chen'er, Empress Mother came to see you. Are you feeling better?"

She opened the curtains and looked through the bright candlelight to see a child lying on her son's bed. The child was very beautiful, with eyes as dark and bright as obsidian. Snow-like jade skin and cherry-red lips like roses stained by rain and dew. The delicate and beautiful facial features makes people's hearts skip a beat.

Empress Mu was stunned for a while before asking, "Could this be...that child from the Ye family?"

Gu Chen said, "Replying to Empress Mother, it is A-Jin."

Ye Chongjin wanted to go down and salute but Gu Chen had no intention of letting him go. He had no choice but to lie like this and greet her in a nondescript manner: "Chongjin has met the Empress. May the Empress be safe and sound."

Empress Mu didn't care and joked: "We haven't seen each other for several years and this child is becoming more and more lively. It's a pity that he is not a girl otherwise he would be a perfect match for the Crown Prince." She paused for a moment then suddenly remembered that the second son of the Ye family was betrothed to her son back then. Unfortunately, he turned out to be a boy so the marriage was abandoned.

If this marriage had taken place back then, with the support of the Ye family, their mother and son wouldn't have to work so hard now.

She looked at the child on the bed again. His face made everyone feel a little softer when they saw it. She felt even more regretful because it was a boy. It would be great if it were a girl.

========

Seeing that it was getting dark, Ye Yanbai waited and waited for his son to come. He wondered what was going on and thought to himself that Gu Chen dared to play tricks on him. He stroked his beard and walked to Qianzheng Palace.

Emperor Qingzong was having a meal. When he heard Prime Minister Ye begging to see him, he was so frightened that he dropped the jade chopsticks in his hand.

Recently, in order to track down the assassins, troops from the Ministry of Justice and Dali Temple, as well as soldiers under Meng Tingwei, were mobilised. Many people were arrested causing complaints from the people. Others did not dare to remonstrate, but the old fox Ye Yanbai dared.

He also knew that this assassin must be related to several other princes or to their maternal families. He was also a prince so how could he not know the twists and turns in this. But knowing it was one thing and dealing with it is another matter.

The parties involved are of equal importance to him. Fortunately, the Cown Prince only suffered superficial injuries. This matter could only be settled with a small punishment and a big warning. If it got serious, where would the Royal family's face be?

He raised his hand and said: "Let him come in." If he doesn't see him now, tomorrow morning this old fox will appear in front of all the civil and military officials and his face will become even more shameless.

Ye Yanbai entered the hall and bowed politely: "I bow to Your Majesty, long live my Emperor, long live my Emperor." Before he could kneel down, Emperor Qingzong had already stepped forward to help him up. He smiled kindly and said: "Minister Ye doesn't need to be polite. It's already getting late. Zhen don't know what the purpose of Minister Ye's trip is?"

Ye Yanbai said, "I dare to ask Your Majesty to get my son back for me."

Emperor Qingzong was stunned. He had already been prepared to listen to what he had to say. Why did it suddenly change from a state matter to a family matter?

"What's wrong with your son?"

"Your Majesty, the Crown Prince gave my son a little white tiger a few days ago. Today my son came to the palace to thank him. Seeing that it is now getting dark, the Crown Prince still refuses to let him go, so I dare to ask Your Majesty to make a decision."

Emperor Qingzong's forehead twitched and he waved hands: "Zhen is afraid Minister Ye has misunderstood. The Crown Prince has been seriously ill recently and has been bedridden for several days. He even has to be fed by others. How can he hide your son? It's probably because your child is playful and refuses to leave the East Palace. You can't blame it on the Crown Prince."

Ye Yanbai became anxious when he heard this, "Your Majesty, my A-Jin is the most obedient and sensible person and there is no way he could be playful and cause trouble."

Emperor Qingzong was also angry and said: "What does Minister Ye mean by this? Isn't zhen's Chen'er not good and sensible?"

Ye Yanbai twitched the corners of his lips and said coolly: "Your Majesty, you have no idea what kind of person His Highness, the Crown Prince is?"

The Emperor couldn't breathe after hearing this and pointed at the old fox and was speechless.

The chamberlain hurriedly stepped forward to ease the tension and cautiously advised: "Your Majesty, Prime Minister Ye, please put out the fire first and don't hurt the relationship between the monarch and his ministers over such a trivial matter."

The Emperor pushed the chamberlain's hand away. He does not need dinner. He said loudly: "Let's go to the East Palace. Today zhen will let Prime Minister Ye see what kind of person my Crown Prince is."