Chapter 18 The Heart of the Emperor

Start from the beginning

Gu Chen paused for a while then calmly responded: "Little Fifth accidentally heard the palace people talking about the custom of praying for blessings with lanterns. He was grateful for his Imperial Father's kindness so he avoided the palace people and stole to Mufang River to pray for his Imperial Father. The river was slippery. Little Fifth was slow so he fell into the water. Fortunately, the second son of the Duke of Yue passed by and rescued him."

Gu Xian suddenly breathed a sigh of relief. Although he didn't understand why Gu Chen would distort the facts but he would not be stupid enough to expose him.

Emperor Qingzong was slightly stunned when he heard the word "lantern".

In the Mid-Autumn Festival of that year, Imperial Concubine Li was pregnant. He took her to the Mufang River to put down lanterns and pray for the safety and happiness of the unborn prince.

If his late Imperial Father had not ordered him to do so, the Crown Prince would not have been his legitimate son and he would have definitely wanted their child to be the Crown Prince.

Imperial Concubine Li had an uncontested temperament. When she heard this, she smiled and said, "I don't want the Prince to be the Crown Prince. Being a Prince is so tiring. Your Majesty reads official documents until late at night. I feel distressed when I see it. Moreover, our Prince must be the same as this Concubine, lazy in nature. As long as he lives a leisurely life, I will be satisfied. When he grows up, it would be nice for him to be an unfettered King."

She said that she wanted their child to not work, he must live leisurely and be at ease, and he will be named the Xiaoyao King in the future.

Emperor Qingzong felt a sudden pain in his heart. After Imperial Concubine Li passed away, he hated this child who killed his mother. His Imperial Concubine Li and her beautiful face died because of him. How could he not hate it! But her blood was flowing in the child's body after all...

Gu Chen lowered his eyes hiding the depth in his eyes. In fact, there was only one woman that his father really liked and that was the mere Imperial Physician's daughter - Lu Wanyan. She later became Imperial Concubine Li.

Concubine Lan was just a substitute from the beginning.

At that time, the Empress, who is now the Empress Dowager, forced Emperor Qingzong, who was still the Crown Prince, to marry Mu Xianya, the daughter of a Minister. At that time, the court was unstable and the Crown Prince had no choice. Later, the Crown Prince did not have anything to do with her for nearly twenty years so the Empress replaced her. The Crown Prince accepted Lan Xin. Although Lan Xin was not from a high background, she had an advantage. She looked somewhat similar to Lu Wanyan so he directly made her a side concubine and she became popular in the East Palace for a while.

A few years later, the late Emperor passed away and Emperor Qingzong finally got what he wanted. He incorporated Lu Wanyan into the harem, named her Imperial Concubine Li, and granted her residence in Qinghe Palace.

Concubine Lan, who gave birth to the Third Prince, was hastily named Concubine Lan after the Emperor ascended the throne. This incident has always been ridiculed by the concubines in the harem. If Imperial Concubine Li and Concubine Lan were standing together, no one could have guessed the truth. It turned out that His Majesty had a cinnabar mole in his heart and Concubine Lan was just a substitute. It's ridiculous that this substitute takes herself too seriously and has made many enemies in the harem. If it weren't for the Third Prince, she would have died in this deep palace.

Later, the real person disappeared and the substitute became valuable again.

However, Concubine Lan did not dare to be as arrogant and domineering as before because she knew that if a woman more like Lu Wanyan appeared in the future, her status would still be in jeopardy. She could only imitate Lu Wanyan in everything, including her expression, manners, and even personality. Emperor QingZong also anesthetized himself and he has been in such a chaotic state these past few years.

These old things are rarely mentioned nowadays. Firstly, the Emperor would be furious if anyone mentioned Imperial Concubine Li. Secondly, Concubine Lan's family now dominates the court and no one has the guts to offend her. The reason why Gu Chen knew this was because the Empress in his previous life told him.

At that time, little Fifth passed away and he blamed himself very much. The Empress advised: "It is all just fate. His mother was not blessed with a long life but she was deeply loved by the Emperor in her life. The Fifth Prince has passed away now otherwise Mo Huaixuan may have been worried about him for the rest of his life. Who can tell whether it is a blessing or a curse. In this life of aijia, your mother would be honoured in the world and everyone will respect her. But in fact, she never had anything... she would rather be a mediocre woman and grow old with her husband."

Gu Chen believed in himself and was certain that Emperor Qingzong has feelings for Lu Wanyan. Little Fifth is their child. No matter how angry his Imperial Father is with him, he is reluctant to let little Fifth lose his life.

Sure enough, Emperor Qingzong pondered for a moment and said: "Let Imperial Physician Sun go to Qinghe Palace to have a look and don't let the Fifth Prince be ill. Get to the root of his disease."

The servant followed the order and left but Emperor Qingzong no longer wanted to drink so he stood up and left.

Concubine Lan lifted up her sleeves, poured herself a full glass of wine and drank it. This wine really stung her throat.

========

After the banquet, Ye Chongjin fell into a drowsy sleep. He originally thought that the alcohol consumption in his previous life would be brought into this life but unexpectedly, after two sips of wine, he was already drunk. Moreover, the smell of Gu Chen's body was too familiar. It unconsciously makes him drop all his defences.

Even if it knows that there is a vicious wolf lying next to it, the lamb who is accustomed to the smell of the wolf will gradually forget about running away.

Prime Minister Ye approached, bowed first, then picked up the little child lying on Gu Chen's lap and said, "Thank you, Your Highness, for taking care of the little one. It's getting late so I will take my leave first."

Gu Chen pursed his thin lips slightly and said: "Gu has something to discuss with Taifu, can you give me a chance to speak."

Ye Yanbai subconsciously became defensive and when the situation was tense, the little child in his arms muttered softly: "It's delicious..."

The Prime Minister twitched his lips, turned around and handed the little greedy cat in his arms to Madam Ye. Gu Chen looked at the exposed little head of the child. It was not until Madam An left in a hurry that he looked away and made a gesture to Ye Yanbai.

The moonlight was bright and fireworks were being set off outside Wansheng Hall, lighting up the entire night sky.

Gu Chen said, "Do you still remember that gu asked Taifu who is qualified to be gu's companion?"

Ye Yanbai said cautiously, "Remember."

"At that time, Taifu recommended Mo Huaixuan."

"Exactly."

Gu Chen suddenly chuckled and said, "But looking at it objectively, Young Master Ye seems to be more suitable. Not only is he famous for his talents but he is also close to gu in age and has similar ideas. It will save a lot of inconvenience when working for gu in the future."

"This," Ye Yanbai hurriedly bowed and said, "My son has a stubborn character. If he collides with His Highness and makes His Highness unhappy, wouldn't it be a sin? Besides, my son likes literature and calligraphy and has no ambitions in officialdom. I hope His Highness will understand ..."

Gu Chen raised his hand interrupting him. He said: "Gu is not a person who makes things difficult for others. The Prime Minister has two sons, so he should give up one, right? "