045 | 𝐘𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐎 𝐯𝐬 𝐊𝐘𝐎𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐝.

YAMAMOTO vs KYOTANI contd.

Tetsurou watches the fighters closely, marvelling at their resilience. Despite Yamamoto's eye, the absence of any knockdowns by this stage amazes him. He recalls the moment Iwaizumi had given him a black eye months ago, a memory he still carries vividly.

He remembers succumbing to the pain, letting it overwhelm him until he crumpled onto the platform in a knockdown. Witnessing Yamamoto's strength and determination to push through the pain is remarkably impressive.

At least the money has gone up again. Yamamoto feels like his new eye isn't a complete loss now that the prize is standing at 280,000 yen.

Maintaining a defensive stance, Yamamoto waits for Kyotani to initiate the action this time. His fear of sustaining further injury or potentially losing the fight keeps him on high alert, making him hyperaware of every small movement Kyotani makes.

He so badly wants to fight, wants to throw punches and hurt Kyotani just as much as he hurt him. But, for now, he holds himself back, dodging and occasionally clinching Kyotani whenever he gets too close.

The round goes by faster than anticipated, prompting Yamamoto to return to his corner where his cornermen attend to him. As for Kyotani, he's already thinking of ways to get his opponent to act up.

Clearly, Yamamoto is focusing more on defence, possibly making the match longer than what Kyotani thought it would be. And with so much money on the line, Kyotani would rather end the fight as quickly as possible than drag it out any longer. He's had enough with putting on a show. Now, he just wants to get his money and leave.

"Don't be afraid to hit him," Kenma says to Yamamoto. "There's only one way you're going to win tonight."

"I'm trying to hit him. I just don't want this getting any worse," Yamamoto admits, motioning to his swollen eye with a gloved hand. The pain apparent behind his closed lid, red and twitchy with tears.

"It won't. I trust that it won't, so long as you put up an equal fight," Kenma says before he lets his fighter go back in for another round.

As Kenma rejoins the rest of his team, a sense of unease settles in. Sure, the fight and the money on display looks insanely impressive, but it only looks this impressive because of how well Kyotani is doing.

The crowd shouts, begging for more violence and to finally see some blood. It's already the sixth round and there isn't a single drop of blood yet. Not even a single knockdown, only the gradual fatigue manifesting in both of the fighters.

Yamamoto employs a similar strategy, cautious yet waiting for Kyotani's move. He closes in, leading with his right and throwing a left cross that's not fast enough to hit Yamamoto.

He quickly pivots out of the attack, subtly leading Kyotani across the ring. Tetsurou tenses, concerned about Yamamoto's apparent self-trap, but as Kyotani's arm swings for a jab, Yamamoto pivots, dodging the move yet again.

Now with their positions switched, Yamamoto seizes the opportunity, swiftly rotating his body to generate force. Momentum builds from his feet, coursing through his legs, hips, waist, and into his upper body, where his right elbow is raised and bent.

Then, his right arm extends with lightning speed, delivering a powerful right cross directly into Kyotani's chin. When his head snaps back from the impact, the crowd erupts into cheers and chants.