003 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐄𝐅

THE POLICE CHIEF

As you reach to retrieve your keys, you meet your vibrating phone which was blowing up with hundreds of unread messages ― every single one of them being from the Nekoma team.

The boys were ecstatic to have you consider becoming their team manager. They insisted on adding your number to their group chat, and as the captain, it was up to Kuroo to call the shots.

He didn't hesitate at the suggestion.

You hold your phone up, watching the notifications roll in at lightning speed, all of their names popping up one after the other. Swiping to unlock, you glance at the spam of messages and odd pictures. You try to scroll and figure out the context, but their messages keep pouring in, making it nearly impossible.

The front door swings open, and a toothy smile greets you, "Oneesan!"

"Hey, Asa—" your little sister nearly knocks the breath out of you when she traps you in a tight hug. She stuff her face into your stomach, her small fingers clinging onto your uniform. "How was your first day of school?"

"It was okay," Asa's voice is muffled, "I missed you."

"I missed you, too," Gently, you peel her face off. She blinks a few times, her grown out fringe falling into her eyes. "I'm hoping that you made friends at school?"

She sways nervously, a hand still clutching onto you while the other brushes her hair to the side of her face, "No, but I tried."

"What happened?"

"The kids in my class are kinda mean," she mutters, "they make fun of the way I talk."

The news sparks irritation within your chest, laced with a bit of rage. Even in a new city, the kids in Asa's class still find ways to pick on her. It is already hard being new to a class full of people who were accustomed to each other.

Asa brings a strand of hair from the back of her head forward. She runs a finger over its shortened ends. "Someone also put gum in my hair. Dad had to cut it out." The corners of her lips twitch, holding back a cry that itches at the back of her throat.

"Aw, it's okay," Crouching down to meet her covered eyes, you twirl a finger around her fringe, "Looks like you need a haircut anyways. I'll fix it for you, how about that?"

Lips pull into a gappy grin, "Yes!"

"We've been waiting for you," Leaning against the wall of the narrow hallway, your father looks down at his two daughters. "You're late."

"Otousan," you greet him, but you keep your eyes on your sister's rosy cheeks. Not even a simple hello? "I'm sorry."

An audible annoyance erupts when he clears his throat. "C'mon now," he nods his head towards the kitchen, "Supper is getting cold."

Asa holds your hand tightly, tugging on your arm as she follows your father into the kitchen. The air in the kitchen is warm, the scent of fresh curry wafting through the air and making your stomach grumble.

The newness of the house throws off your senses. The floorboards don't creak and bounce under your feet like how they did back home, and the bathroom was to the right of your bedroom instead of the left. But even with the changes, there is one thing that stayed the same.