013 | 𝐓𝐎𝐊𝐘𝐎'𝐒 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐓

TOKYO'S SECRET

Her tone is enough to make the room go quiet. A few of the boys turn, watching you take the spot next to Kuroo. When Bea clears her throat, everyone brings their attention back to the board.

How Bea got the boys to drop all of their conversations is beyond you. She must have a lot of responsibility and power if the boys hushed down so quickly, you think as you watch her erase the names off the board. Even her boyfriend looks a bit scared, waiting for her to take the lead.

"So," Bea starts, "It's crazy how it's only your second day at a new school and you already know about one of Tokyo's biggest secrets. And, you just so happen to be the daughter of a cop," her voice is full of disgust. "Consider yourself special."

Silence falls over the room. Bea always has a tendency to hold a strong front, constantly on the edge in case someone slips up. It's only because she has seen what happens to people who snitch to the cops.

With the large black marker in her hand, she begins at the top of the board. "The UR," she writes while she speaks, "is, as you know, an extremely confidential place with unethical rules and loads of money being tossed around like it's nothing. A small bet is an official fight between two boxers. People place their cash into one prize pool, and it can grow as the fight commences. When the fight is over, the winner gets the jackpot and the loser cries about it."

Wanting to join in, Bokuto removes the cap off his own marker and joins Bea on the board. "Everything is tallied and added to the fighter's UR statistics. And, only specific people are allowed to compete," he says as he writes messily. Bea has to bite her tongue. "Bouts in the UR are only open to high schoolers and, more rarely, university students. This is because spectators, audience members, and sponsors know that these people— we need the money the most. That's why we fight."

"It's quite cruel when you think about it," Akaashi mumbles from his spot on the couch. "First years are too small and inexperienced to fight. They're only allowed to spectate."

"And second years like myself are allowed to participate in ringside activities, like corner manning and whatnot," Yamamoto says with a smile, "and, if we sign up for a fight, we can also compete for money!"

"Forget about weight classes, weigh-ins, and interviews," Bea utters, already making more notes on the board with a different coloured marker. "The UR doesn't have time for that. As long as you're a second or third year student who's able to fight, then you qualify to sign up."

Leaning forward from your slouched back position, you focus on the whiteboard, reading the new notes. "Are these sponsors any help?"

"Sponsors are always a bit tricky," Kuroo joins in on the conversation. "Some are trustworthy, but these sponsors always serve their own agenda before their beneficiary. They offer money, boxing lessons, and whatever they know will please their fighter. But, it's never that simple."

"Do you have a sponsor?" you ask, and everyone breaks out into laughter. Is the answer obvious?

Then, Kuroo catches his breath. "No, I don't," he turns to look at you. "I fight proudly on my own."

You nod, trying to play off more of your embarrassment. "I see." If the question is enough humour for everyone in the room, there's no use in asking Bokuto the same.