001 | 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃

FIRST FRIEND

Starting at a new school, especially in the middle of the term, is not something you look forward to. The news that your father's boss was relocating him to work in Tokyo meant that you were leaving everything behind; your school, your friends, and the home that you grew up in.

When your little sister first heard the news, she was over the moon. It meant that she got a bigger room and lived in the city. For you, it meant living in a chaotic environment and meeting new faces.

You make sure to keep your head down when the next train arrives at the station. The heavy doors open with a sigh, and you board the car, carefully squeezing through the crowd to find a decent spot to stand for the twenty-five minute ride to Nekoma High.

There are different types of people on the train; people in suits, people holding groceries, and students wearing the same red and navy uniform that you are wearing. There is one boy in particular who you spot with another boy, both of them sitting across from where you stand.

The taller boy has shaggy black hair, and he is leaning close to the other boy who is busy tapping away on his phone. Try to make some friends, your dad said before leaving the new house for work, try talking to the first person you see and ask how they're doing. Initiating conversation already seemed like a difficult task, and the busy train didn't make it any easier.

You try to get a better look at their faces. The boy sitting on the right hides an eye with his black hair, and the shorter boy has blonde tips that stop just past his shoulders. His face looks almost girlish with eyes that refuse to look up from his phone screen. The other boy has a strong jaw and broad shoulders, hunching to meet his friend's height.

They look like an odd pair, almost like complete opposites, but something about their closeness makes you assume that they are good friends.

The train comes to a slow stop. People pour out of the doors as soon as they open, rushing to get onto the platform. You head for the exit, and just as you are about to step out through the doors, someone bumps into your back. The strap on your shoulder slides down your arm, the weight of your bag bringing it down to the ground.

"Sorry," the person behind you mumbles, his hazel eye flicking up to meet yours. His friend nearly walks into a pole, still lost in the game on his phone. "Kenma," he hisses as he yanks on his friend's sweater, dragging him out of the train.

You don't say anything back. Once the area is clear, you finally get a hold on your bag and toss it over your shoulder. Looking up, you find the same hazel eye staring back at you through the open doors.

A friendly smirk tugs on the corner of his lips while his friend continues to gaze downwards. You return the gesture before taking a step, but the doors immediately shut in front of you, sealing the platform away. Wait, you think, I didn't get off.

The tall boy watches the train carry you away down the tracks. As much as he wanted to stay and wait for you to return, the time on his watch tells him to keep moving. He sighs as he watches the train completely disappear before grabbing his friend's arm and running out of the station.

**✿❀ ❀✿**