044 | 𝐘𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐎 𝐯𝐬 𝐊𝐘𝐎𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐈

YAMAMOTO vs KYOTANI

Yamamoto strides toward the ring's center, light on his feet, while Kyotani adopts a casual saunter. Weeks of tension culminate in this moment — a petty fight sparked by drunken words and a punch thrown in your defence.

Those who witnessed their initial scuffle scream the loudest, craving more brutality. The UR's violent-thirsty crowd appears insatiable as always as they wait for the first hit to be landed.

Yamamoto, feeling as brave as ever, is desperate to make the first move and set the night's tone. However, he also wants to see if his opponent is just as daring — or does Kyotani anticipate Yamamoto to make an impulsive, emotion-fueled strike? It'll grant Kyotani just enough time to sneak a faster, stronger punch in return.

Leading with his left foot, Yamamoto thrusts his right elbow, launching the opening punch toward Kyotani's solid guard. He doesn't even stumble back from the hit, only absorbs the blow and accepts that his opponent tried and failed.

Kyotani retaliates, mirroring Yamamoto's cross and following it with a jab with bolstering speed, breaking through his rival's guard with ease. But Yamamoto swiftly dodges, creating a safe distance to recover.

Some people are already on the edge of their seats when they notice the duplicate move made better. It's something Kyotani had picked up when he trained with Oikawa. All of his other skills had been taught to him from his idol — both on the volleyball court and inside the boxing ring — Iwaizumi Hajime.

Yamamoto's lips pull back into a wicked smile, displaying his mouthguard as he advances quickly, utilizing the speed and aiming a right hook at Kyotani's side. He side steps just in time, the red glove grazing his skin as he pivots out of the way.

Desperate to land a hit on the guy who talked poorly about his manager, Yamamoto presses forward before switching stances. He throws a jab with his right glove, then a cross with his left, but both punches fail to hit his target.

What? Confusion creeps in as Yamamoto's gloves slice through empty air, distracting him from the looming blue glove targeting his left cheek. Kyotani's laugh rings out as the blow lands with a resounding thump, snapping Yamamoto's head to the side.

"Fuck," Tetsurou mumbles, his unease radiating from beside you. Watching his own teammate endure a painful hit in a boxing ring that's not meant for him pierces Tetsurou deeply.

Even if it's just one punch, Tetsurou can see and hear just how powerful it was. And hearing the people around them, yelling and begging for more can only add to the stress and pressure that Yamamoto is facing.

"He's got it," you reassure, placing a calming hand on his arm. "It's only the first round. He'll adjust as the fight goes on."

"Let's hope so," Tetsurou responds, just before the bell ends the first round of the night.

Stools are immediately positioned at each of the coloured corners. Kenma has already stepped inside the ring, waiting for Yamamoto to plop down to get attended to.

Despite the earlier hit, Yamamoto's vibrant energy and attitude remains. "So," he speaks through his mouthguard as Lev taps a towel to his temple, "how bad was that first hit?"

Kenma, kneeling to his eye level, inspects the burgeoning bruise on his cheek. Had Kyotani struck Yamamoto's jaw — the TKO target — it might have resulted in a different outcome, a possible knockdown, even in the first round.